I need help identifying this broken rubber part in my driveshaft

92LongBed

Reaction score
I was looking over my fuel selector valve and noticed this bushing??? is broken. I need help identifying this so I can take the right methods to fix/replace this. Also a little information on it and the severity of this would be appreciated. Truck has always driven incredible so I'm surprised to see something like this messed up. Thank you

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

CalIDI

Reaction score
Looks like a center support bearing. The rubber dust boot is disintegrating so it is only a matter of time before it bites the dust. Sometimes center support bearing failure caused by bad or unlubricated U joints, causing more play, but the rubber simply degrades overtime. On most vehicles you will have to remove the driveshaft completely (make sure to mark it so it stays in balance) disassemble it and install a new center support bearing (also called a carrier bearing.)

When replacing carrier/center support bearings it is a good idea to also do the U joints as well.

I'd say since it still drives its not urgent, but it should be on your to do list.

Personally I like get as much use out of parts as I can, but I would do the U joints and carrier bearing when you can.

Happy Tinkering!
-CalIDI

92LongBed

Reaction score
thank you! i'll add that to my list of things to replace on this truck

is this the broken up piece of rubber replacement? here or this where i replace the entire thing and that broken rubber piece is included but mine is being forced out of the carrier bearing?

Last edited:

CalIDI

Reaction score
Personally I would just replace the whole assembly with a good quality replacement. If the boot has been disintegrating for a while I suspect there could be dirt in the bearings which would cause it to wear out soon. Also definitely replace the carrier bearing if the driveline sags a bit, as in the driveline does not sit in the center of the bearing, or you can move the driveline up and down or left and right within the center support bearing. It's job is to keep the driveline from moving and just spin.

OE was likely a dana or timken part (somebody correct me if that's wrong), both brands have been good to me. It may even say somewhere under the corrosion. Rockauto has them for around $20

Happy Tinkering!
-CalIDI

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The rubber gets beat out of them.

Time for a new unit. You can get some with polyurethane instead, but easily 3x the cost.

92LongBed

Reaction score
The rubber ones seem good enough for what they cost I can repair that 1x every 30 years lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online