I goofed...think I damaged my brake control

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my haste tonight trying to get the trailer ready for a trip Friday morn I goofed and wire the trailer plug wrong. I accidently wired the blue brake wire to the running lights from the truck, I had the plug reversed. The taillights worked but were dim and the red light was on on the brake control. I quickly took the things back apart and found what I had done. I got the wires in the correct locations and hooked the trailer back to the truck. Taillights worked correctly as did the turn signals. I stepped on the braked pedal and the light on the control quickly flashed and went out, this happened each time I touched the brakes. I moved the manual arm and the light worked correctly. I have the same results with the trailer disconnected. Did I blow up my brake control??

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the light change when you increase or decrease the power on the controller (the brake adjustment)? Are the trailer brakes working? What type of controller? I think mine does the same thing but I'm not certain.

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's Hayes 81725. Normally and with no trailer the red light comes on and stays on with the brake pedal pushed. This morning same thing. Not sure the the brakes actually work yet, old axles that gave set for years. They have had the shoes replaced this summer.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
should be able to hear them hum with the power turned up and usually can hear them engage and disengage.

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a new Hopkins unit tonight and got it installed. It's quite a bit better unit than I had. So glad these things are plug and play nowadays. Tested it w/o the trailer hooked up and all seemed good, plugged the trailer up and got the correct signals from the unit that my wiring is good. Since I was home alone I didn't get to see if the magnets were working. Still need to get the brakes adjusted tighter and check the shoes on the aft axle. It's not going on the trip Friday for lack of time to finish it. We will cram all the bucks is our friend's trailer, it's only a 2 hr trip to the show.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way I check is when hooked up just hit the manual button and see if the trailer pulls back while moving

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online