Hypermax Vs. ATS Vs. Banks, which ones better????

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they all are fine. i have heard that banks customer service sucks.idont know anything about ats or hypermax other then hypermax is cheaper to buy new and they make boost at higher rpms and have less back presure. personally when i get one i am going to go to hypermax

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All three have great points and some bad points... Banks offers the most complete setups but they also have a mitsubishi turbo and a hot wheel and shaft are tuff to locate. The factory in japan wont sell to you unless you have the part number. Thats a terrible way of doing business. Hypermax offers a great turbo kit and the parts are easy to find most anywhere. They also offer an intercooler......;Sweet ATS will treat you terrible. They choose to offer more to the computer truck owners because there is more money in that. All of these turbo kits are great for our rigs. You ask a question that can be answered honestly many differant ways. I like the Banks wastegated sidewinder kits so much that I have a complete spare....:D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There is lots-o-stuff behind the rear seat... But alass... No spare turbo.... Sorry. And happy easter anyway.....:flipa:rotflmao Someday I will post a video of thats behind the rear seat... Oldmister bill has a really nice shelf built behind his rear saet.. Gives me some ideas....:sly

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have nothing to say bad about banks. Everytime I call for a small part they just send it no charge. Also they like to keep there costumers on file, and did not seem to trouble them that my the turbo was under my dads name and not mine.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a new ats on a bet. Their customer service is terrible . THe only reason to buy anything from them would be is if you was one of them wierd folks who likes getting abused, then go for it cookoo LOL
If I had it to do over I'd get a Hypermax. I bought my cowl induction from them ad I've had them on the phone a few times for other things and they are simply great folks.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a new ats on a bet. Their customer service is terrible . THe only reason to buy anything from them would be is if you was one of them wierd folks who likes getting abused, then go for it cookoo LOL
If I had it to do over I'd get a Hypermax. I bought my cowl induction from them ad I've had them on the phone a few times for other things and they are simply great folks.

seconded.

If you are spending money on new, spend it there. Where I needed to rebuild my old kit I called and they sent me every single replaceable item and it was very reasonable.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I have dealt with all three at the stealership and have to say the banks gives the quickest spool stock. That said the banks is also the biggest pita to install and/or work around. I hate calling banks for anything (idi up through 6.4, NO CUSTOMER SUPPORT!!!!). I have not dealt with ats customer support but they seem to build a solid product ( I know type4 did some magic to his and now it will straight walk on a banks kit). Hypermax has the best customer service, a COMPLETE kit (every nut bolt and pin) and it isnt too bad to install or work around. I have a Hypermax and I will recommend them to anyone that asks what to get.

For what its worth, a moose pump, new injectors, a hypermax with ceramic coated hot side parts (manifolds and up pipes (do the collector too)) is the most wicked idi I have personaly seen. I will let its owner chime in and claim it. It is pretty slick.

punk

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
after having mine as an NA, then going to a stock 94 turbo with stock dp, i cant say much. but it did bump power up nicely. i havent delt with ats yet for anything. but it is a pain to work around for anything if u have the stock air cleaner setup. i havent touched any of the other setups yet, saturday will be the first time i will drive one with a sidewinder so i will let you know how i like it.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think jonathan may have Banks confused with ATS. I've had nothing but good experiences with Banks. I've got two of their turbos now, and have had no trouble getting parts for the used kit I just put on the crew cab. I had a terrible experience with ATS on the phone when considering the different turbo options for my F250. I've read here that ATS is terrible about getting parts out. Hypermax, can't say anything bad about them. But, I didn't (and still don't) want a non-wastegated turbo for my IDI as I don't like turbo lag.:D So I didn't even call them when looking for a turbo as they don't offer a wastegated turbo for these IDI's.

Heath

Last edited:

tknomaj

Reaction score
I have not had problems getting parts from Ats. But I was talking to ats today and orderring parts and found out that they are not going to make a aurora 3000 for our iDI's and will not be supporting parts once they run out.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
With my hypermax I do have some lag, but I think I have a boost leak and KNOW that ceramic coating will make it more efficient. The moose/Hypermax rig I mentioned earlier has NO lag. NONE. I was flat F*&^ing amazed at what happened to that truck. I put all the components on it and will be doing the same to my rig. Im serious when I say that it would give an intercooled 7.3 with slight mods a fair run for its money. I may be biased towards hypermax, but it is due to their unerring customer service and standing behind their products. They are soon to be the only ones offering a kit and parts for said kit. After my dealings with banks I wont even call them, even for the new flashy junk at work. I let someone else deal with them. Im a bit to deal with though, so that may be part of it. lol.

punk

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Like Punk said, with my non wastegated setup, I have no lag when towing and that's when I need the thing anyway. I don't have my pump set up hot, I;m not that interested in wearing myself out watching gauges I did that for a living for a while, nobodys paying me to be anywhere now so I like to relax and take my time, but a non wastegated setup will tow better than a wastegated one will You put a heavy load on and you have all the boost you need teh moment you hit the throttle.

It really is nice to know that the folks at Hypermax are still actively developing new products for our engines too and not just trying to milk us out of our cash for what they have left laying around only to leave us high and dry when that is gone like the rest are doing

Olb Blue Beast

Built Ford Tough
Reaction score
thanks guys, ive got all the info i need. Iwas workin towards Banks before i joined Oilburners cause my pops got a 95' F350 w/ a Banks Powerpack, but now i know Hypermax is the choice for my truck, well, when i get the $$$ and the truck first, lol