Hypemax pulse or banks sidewinder

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All Right guys I'm selling my 093 ats to my friend. So I've been looking at new turbo kits and I'm looking at hypermax pulse or banks sidewinder. What are the pros and cons of these turbos? My pickup mainly pulls a triple axle cargo trailer in the winter loaded with snowmobiles and a 17ft camper in the summer and and some other trailers. Which would be best for that? There are some hills we go up that are only 35mph. So I would like the boost to come in faster at low speeds/RPMs

Last edited:

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i am very happy with my turbo setup. pretty much a hypermax kit but a much bigger turbo. with the jr pump i cant even run the EGTs hot unles i really lug it but i never do that anyway. i really had no problems going to KY with a total weight of around 13k.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a hypermax unit on my last truck, it worked fine.
Hypermax is a smaller company and has great customer service. I wanted to upgrade my current trucks non gated banks to a gated banks unit but shelved the project for now. I do mostly stop and go city driving and a waste gated unit would be better.
Not sure how long banks will be in the idi game, which kinda makes one worry about future support.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I know it's not really a choice, but I'd rather have the 093 than a Sidewinder. They just seem to fit together better/easier to me. Since I feel that way, I guess I'd have to go with the Hypermax.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it's not really a choice, but I'd rather have the 093 than a Sidewinder. They just seem to fit together better/easier to me. Since I feel that way, I guess I'd have to go with the Hypermax.

I like the 093 it performs great. But I was reading the hypermax is non wasted. And saw that the up pipes have a hard time fitting?

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am very happy with my turbo setup. pretty much a hypermax kit but a much bigger turbo. with the jr pump i cant even run the EGTs hot unles i really lug it but i never do that anyway. i really had no problems going to KY with a total weight of around 13k.

How was the boost with the hypermax?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't know a lot about the fitment of the up pipes. If I remember right, there's two up pipes and I could see where this may make installation difficult. I doubt there would be any problems during operation. I guess it really depends on whether you need the wastegate or not. For me, I think it would be a hinderance since it's at least 20 miles from the small town wheere I live to almost anywhere. The vast majority of my use is on the highway with very little in town.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct, there are two up pipes on the Hypermax. The drivers side on mine was hard up against the firewall seam even with the flange bent back, so I had to make an additional cut and get creative with a pry bar. I don't tow so never see a lot of boost, maybe 7# climbing a pass, but I can push egt's too high if I'm not paying attention. I don't have an intercooler.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are buying new, go check out R&D idi performance. You can probably get a stage 2 turbo piping kit and stage1 turbo for about the price of a new banks... and the turbo will be a /lot/ better.

I do like the design of the Banks wastegated setup; it gives a lot more clearance than the factory turbo design... both turbos can handle similar levels of power(around 250rwhp with enough fuel), the factory turbo is a little "smoother" feeling, the banks more "sharp" and spools a tiny bit faster, or at least is louder.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are buying new, go check out R&D idi performance. You can probably get a stage 2 turbo piping kit and stage1 turbo for about the price of a new banks... and the turbo will be a /lot/ better.

I do like the design of the Banks wastegated setup; it gives a lot more clearance than the factory turbo design... both turbos can handle similar levels of power(around 250rwhp with enough fuel), the factory turbo is a little "smoother" feeling, the banks more "sharp" and spools a tiny bit faster, or at least is louder.

Can they go over 250rwhp? Or is that when you have to go to different turbo with other upgrades. I would image you would have to put in a different cam at that time?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock type turbos are negotiable over 250 I belive that to be wheel horsepower though, if spending that kind of money r and d idi performance would be well worth it, Justin could help you select turbo and fueling to your needs anything from stock to far from stock. Typ4 also does turbo work some customizing of stock type kits to make them not so stock anymore. I've got a factory kit with his 60-1 wheel mod in it I'm currently very happy with. Pairs nicely to my 90cc and stage 1's from r and d.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How was the boost with the hypermax?

with an IC in warm weather i can get about 17 lbs. i drove the truck a few weeks ago when it was just above single digit temps and the boost is WAY higher even at cruising speeds.

it is a little more expensive but for an IDI it tows great and i almost never have to look at the gauges. i did have to do a fair amount of clearance to fit the up-pipes but really wasn't difficult.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can they go over 250rwhp? Or is that when you have to go to different turbo with other upgrades. I would image you would have to put in a different cam at that time?
The turbo is just too small to push any more than 250rwhp.
I've tried. It's just driving the turbo /way/ too hard, pushes massive exhaust backpressure.
More than that, you need a bigger turbo, headstuds, and a rd2-110(minimum, you need this for over 220rwhp as well) or rd4-150/180.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To the OP . is your turbo an ats or factory ford?
I can mod either to do better than stock.