Hydroboost Swap & Power Steering Pump replacement. What hangups can I expect?

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do a Hydroboost swap in to my F-250. Last night I ordered a bunch of parts for the swap:

- NEW Hydroboost unit (Motorcraft #E8TZ2005B)
- Motorcraft reman Power Steering Pump for a '92 F-Super Duty (two part numbers given, #F1TC3A674DARM and #F1TZ3A674DBRM); should come with the correct reservoir for two return lines
- Both pressure hoses (Edelmann 71416 and 71442)
- Brake Light Switch (part #SLS93) for an F-Super Duty, should have the connectors bent at the correct angle (I read about that snag in another Hydroboost thread)

My current power steering pump works fine, but it's factory original and I'm gonna be in there anyways thanks to the alternator belt being crap, so the might-as-well's have won yet again.

Here's where the questions begin. I've been reading other Hydroboost threads, and honestly the process looks pretty simple. What I really want to know is the small details and the rookie traps. Are there any clips, pins, or retainers I need to be aware of? What's the pedal swap going to be like, what's gonna be in my way? Loctite, thread sealer, or anti-sieze anywhere? Any tools that I'll need that aren't in my basic toolbox? Anything that might be everyday common sense for you mechanically inclined folks, may be a show-stopper for a mechanically challenged dipstick breaker like me LOL

It looks like an easy enough job to do, but I know there's gonna be something stupid that comes up so I'm trying to get ahead of the game here. I want to do the job over a weekend, I don't want to have to drive the Chevy of Shame because I fell in to a rookie trap. Any advice you guys can give will be much appreciated :)

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the first thing that comes to mind is; don't cross thread your lines.make sure to start the fittings in with your fingers,not a wrench.

looks like your going to be using your master cylinder.if it's cast,it will bolt on (so iv read).if it's aluminum you'll need to ream the holes out.

a super quick google search of your ps pump numbers, shows the first one for the correct truck w/o (meaning; without) reservoir.
your second part# search comes up for superduty trucks (as in '99+ pickups.not F-SD/f450)

gandalf

Reaction score
You're right, it's actually fairly easy. It takes time, but is fairly easy.

Where the shaft comes through the firewall and attaches to the brake pedal--I found that attachment just a bit tricky to get everything back in place.

One of the fittings on the PS pump was inconvenient for me. I ended up going through the wheel well.

Pretty easy.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the first thing that comes to mind is; don't cross thread your lines.make sure to start the fittings in with your fingers,not a wrench.

looks like your going to be using your master cylinder.if it's cast,it will bolt on (so iv read).if it's aluminum you'll need to ream the holes out.

a super quick google search of your ps pump numbers, shows the first one for the correct truck w/o (meaning; without) reservoir.
your second part# search comes up for superduty trucks (as in '99+ pickups.not F-SD/f450)
The pump itself looks like it has applications going from 1990 up to 2003, going by O'Reilly's compatibility list. As for the reservoir, I might have screwed up on that one. I thought it said it came with the reservoir, but looking at it again today it doesn't say if it does or not. I'll start tracking down a reservoir now in case it doesn't have one.

Good catch on that, thanks. Don't order parts in the middle of the night, folks :rolleyes:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
a ps pump really isn't anything you want to change as preventive maintenance anyway.if your pump is good,then it could be good for another 100-200k miles still.just try and find a res.the pumps are the same and the res with dual ports simply goes on in place of your single.
your problem will be finding a dual now,since last i knew they were discontinued.there's plenty of people on here who just T'ed the lines without issue anyway,so i wouldn't sweat it.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'm tracking down a reservoir now, I got a call today saying that the pump I ordered is out of stock, so there goes that plan. No biggie, my wallet didn't like the taste of a $170 reman pump without the right reservoir anyways :D

I might have a lead on the reservoir itself, I gotta call tomorrow and find out. Otherwise I'll just try and find a garbage reman that comes with the reservoir and swap it on to my current pump. I'll T the lines if I have to, but I'd sleep better knowing I've got the correct setup.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i believe i have a spare reservoir, ill check in the AM

gandalf

Reaction score
I could swear that I bought a reservoir for my conversion. They may have gone 'non-available' since then, I guess I'll try to find a receipt with a part number.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here ya go.

You must be registered for see images attach

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...ged,1362631,steering,power+steering+pump,7380

I'm pretty sure the Ford Superduty (99-03) 7.3 trucks at least used the same power steering pump with 2 returns. Surely that isn't obsolete

As I am not as familiar with them, does the SuperDuty 7.3 have the reservoir on the pump? The 6.0 SuperDuty with Hydroboost brakes has a remote mounted reservoir mounted to the drivers inner fender, right next to the master cylinder. The 6.0 pump is just that, a stand-alone pump with a couple hoses connected to it........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online