Hydroboost compatibility

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's several SDs with hydroboost and alot of Chevys at the local pick n pull. May be a stupid question but what is the compatibility on these things? What are the main differences, rods, mounting?

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
It all depends on your confidence level, fab skills and availability of time vs parts $$$. There is a stickies thread over on Powerstroke Army in the OBS after market section that covers much of it. The basic issues with using a 99 up Super Duty hydroboost vs the 88-97 FSuper Duty or F53 are doable but worth it? Grab a 99 up one to turn in as a core on a correct rebuilt one. For all hydro conversions the FSD pedal or relocating the pin on your pedal is required. If you use a 99 up booster the mounting plate needs reworked, doesn’t line up. The pushrod is too short and has to be lengthened some how. The ports for the hoses are metric and custom hoses are needed.
Can’t remember if there is an issue with the master cylinder fit up.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Centric brand brake parts have been decent and I see they have reman boosters for $160 to $220. Unlike most of the remains out there they appear to come with the master cylinder pushrod. Use a FSD booster if you want to use the 1 5/16 bore FSD master cyl, or the F53 booster to use the original master cyl. The difference is the spacing of the master cyl mounting studs. If you change your mind the holes can be elongated. I used the 1 5/16 on the 91, stops like a brand new truck, but if I did it again I would do the 1 1/4, almost too touchy!

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok cool, I just wanted to see, I've already bought the F-350 one new, I was just curious, thought I might return it and use one of those. Thanks for the info guys

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think on the F-350 master cylinder the mounting holes will line up, it's just the F-250 master cylinder that needs to be drilled out. Someone more knowledgeable than me can correct this if I'm wrong though :)

For what it's worth, I don't think all hydroboost units are created equal. My dad's '02 Silverado 2500HD gasser has hydroboost, the brakes work good but the pedal feels soft and spongy like my F-250's old vacuum brakes. My F-250 has hydroboost and the pedal is nice and firm, and it'll punt you through the windshield if you're not careful. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can explain why these two hydroboosted trucks feel so different from eachother?

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there are different pressures. Some of the ones I saw today were on Tahoes and 1/2 ton pick-ups, I know the have to differ from something as heavy as ours

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F350? There were no F350’s prior to 99 with hydroboost....
F Superduty 88-97 is what you want if you want to step up to a 1 5/16 master cyl or a F53 motorhome chassis if you want to use the stock MC.
Yeah, only the F-Super's got hydroboost, but IIRC the master cylinder on the F-350's doesn't need to be drilled out to fit it on the hydrobooster, whereas the MC on the F-250's does need to be drilled out. I could be wrong though, maybe someone who's done a hydroboost swap on an F-350 can chime in.

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F Superduty 88-97 is what you want if you want to step up to a 1 5/16 master cyl or a F53 motorhome chassis if you want to use the stock MC.
So should I return the F-350 one and get an F-53 one?

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? The unit I got was for a 93 Ford F-350, they even asked if it was hydroboost or not when I bought it?

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m using an 08 hydroboost with a 1.5” mc, I did cheat and just swapped the mounting bracket and push rod over from a dead fsuperduty.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I have already done my 91. It is used for the ranch nearly daily, so it could not be down. Researched carefully. Done on one day.
Now I’m doing the 96 while I have the engine out......few years went by, can’t find a brand new motorcraft so research again.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, only the F-Super's got hydroboost, but IIRC the master cylinder on the F-350's doesn't need to be drilled out to fit it on the hydrobooster, whereas the MC on the F-250's does need to be drilled out. I could be wrong though, maybe someone who's done a hydroboost swap on an F-350 can chime in.

I had to oval the holes in the master cylinder slightly on my 91 F350 for what it's worth. Just a little work with the die grinder, didn't take much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online