Hydraulic lifter orientation and wear patterns?

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the lifters out of the engine I'm rebuilding, and I kept track of which one came from which hole. Now that it's too late I notice that the International manual says to maintain the orientation, too, so that the roller is turning the same direction. Oops.

When I look at the wear on the lifters, I see that the rollers have wear marks no more than half way across their width, and I see that the body of the lifter has a W shaped wear pattern on one side, and a smaller, oval shaped wear pattern on the other side.

Does anyone know which pattern, W or oval, should face the cylinders? Or can anyone confirm that it just doesn't matter?

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never noticed patterns on any of mine, just replaced all with new. I would think there should be full contact of roller to came lobe. If you replace, get the lifters with needle bearings & not bushings.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They should have chamfered edges on the roller with flat surface.
You must be registered for see images attach

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine do have a slight chamfer on the edges, but less than I'm seeing in your photo. The wear is definitely in the center, so either the cam or roller wasn't flat.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes they are. Summit racing sells them also.
Melling also good make. Check rockauto.com for good pricing

Last edited:

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wound up ordering 16 of the Sealed Power lifters from Jegs. Not sure my old ones are bad, but not sure which way they should go in, or whether really it matters.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wound up ordering 16 of the Sealed Power lifters from Jegs. Not sure my old ones are bad, but not sure which way they should go in, or whether really it matters.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New replacements should not be a problem. Only going to roll 1 direction after install.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that anyone still makes these lifters with the bushings any more.
With junk coming out of China, it is hard to tell. I personally have never run across any. Bought all of mine off of eBay when eBay was actually cost effective for NIB parts.

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was the cost of those lifters if I may ask?

Thanks
Mike

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, get an occasional knocking but goes away fast. No knocking at cruising speed. I took off the valve cover, cranked up the engine and idled, oil coming out of only 3 of the 8 pushrods. And I have 40 pounds of oil pressure.

Any Ideas?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Is there a blockage in the push rods that don't have any oil coming through them? Next you'd want to check the rocker arms for wear since there's no oil getting to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86