Hydraulic E4OD/4R100 troubleshooting.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an unknown trans I'm playing with and trying to make work. It's become a challenge:
I picked this trans up for $100 off Craigslist; it had been pulled for unknown reasons and sat outside under a tarp for years. The solenoid pack was missing, so some water got inside(was milky-red fluid).

Anyway, I drained everything, flushed with new fluid, threw a solenoid pack into it, made an adapter for my drill to grab the torque converter, and started spinning it. It got it to seemingly work - it started pumping fluid, including pumping fluid out the cooler line, and I could actually engage reverse and manual second. Cool!

OK, so I swapped it into a '97 PSD with a blown trans(had 1st 3rd and 4th, clogged filters every couple of months), hoping to make it work.
In doing this, I'm using the '97's solenoid pack and '97's E4OD pump.

And... Nothing. Well, not quite nothing. If I fire it up and immediately drop it into manual 2nd rev it up, it will go into gear... for about 10 seconds, then drop out and get no gears at all. It totally feels like a clogged filter - as soon as the fluid inside the filter is gone, it just... won't pump.

I also hear cavitation/pump whining noises as it drops out of gear.

Now, the only problem here is... I've swapped the filter(with a cheap Autozone filter, material seems to be a foam) and... not really noticing much difference. It still has the same exact symptoms.

I've tried overfilling the trans, and making sure that there's plenty of fluid. I've notched the bottom of the pickup on the filter up 1/4", in case it's hitting the pan and sealing itself against it. But... so far, nothing.

Now, I'm totally sure it's not electrical - reverse and manual 1st/2nd should work without any connection what so ever.
It's a hydraulic problem. But what is causing it?

Any ideas? Is it caused by the cheap filter? Something else I'm missing?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much water got in there? The glue used on the torque converter clutchs is water soluble.
If that were the case(and I'm not saying that won't be a problem), it should still go into gear, right? Just no lockup, like a C6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online