Hx35 idi

cbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of putting a water cooled HX35 on my truck that I got out of a dodge. I am going to run in on the 94 factory turbo kit using the same up pipe and oil drain. I am also adding a intercooler from a 03 power stroke. The only problem is that the compressor side of the turbo is much larger than the factory turbo so there is a clearance issue with the intake pedestal. I planned on adding a spacer to the exhaust flange to the turbo and a spacer on the oil drain so it sits higher and clears the intake. Does anyone know of someone who has put an hx35 on a factory turbo system and how they did it? Will the spacers just make it leak more?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
As long as you have a good seal on your spacers and your bolts are tight, I wouldn't think that you should have leaks. Just consider them thick gaskets. If a gasket doesn't leak, then your spacers shouldn't either.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That really isn't a big turbo. Most Hx35s have either a 56mm or 57mm compressor. There are a lot of guys putting BW S366 on and they have a 66mm compressor. An Hx35 is actually small for an IDI if you push it much above 10psi...

cbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have the wastegate set at 20 psi which will be intercooled boost, I just like how easy it is to get parts of the hx35. I haven't looked much into the S366 but I put a larger exhaust housing on my hx35. I am not looking for crazy power. I just want a responsive turbo.

cbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do believe it will be a upgrade from the factory turbo being watercooled and producing higher boost more reliably than the factory turbo.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting to see someone try it with a stock setup. I had wondered if it was possible. Mine is a custom up/down pipe setup more because that's what I had already built than to fit a big turbo but it does work well.

HX35 is a nice match to these engine to me. I am very happy with it. I left mine set at the dodge setup pressure - ~20 psi. Might make more if you turned it up, but that's enough for me. IHMO that's a good number for reliable power.

No reason to need water cooling. Didn't even know they had a water cooled HX35. I'd suspect it's for a natural gas engine, so it might not have the right setup for a road diesel.

Claytonrain22

Reaction score
Jalihn83 I was wondering if you got more pictures of your setup I was wanting to buy a Holset hx35 or hx35w on my Idi just wanted to see your piping better !

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the compressor maps for the hx35 before you invest the time into the piping. It’s a significant downgrade from the stock turbo.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jalihn83 I was wondering if you got more pictures of your setup I was wanting to buy a Holset hx35 or hx35w on my Idi just wanted to see your piping better !

Don't really have any. It's nothing fancy, just a flipped around stock exhaust header pipe and some welded up bits. Stock system would be much cleaner.

Look at the compressor maps for the hx35 before you invest the time into the piping. It’s a significant downgrade from the stock turbo.

Well, either you're looking at the wrong model, full of it, or I'm just lucky because it absolutely works better than the Banks WG or non WG turbos I had previously on that engine, the ATS 088 on my dump truck or the IDIT truck I drove a while back - It spools faster & makes more boost, overall truck pulls better and I have no issues with EGTs. Can't compare it with a S366, but IMHO it's a great match with the 6.9 and bull moose pump which lets me pull 15-16k GCW and keep 60+ mph on pretty much any hill. Even at 20-22k GCW I'm able to hold 45-50 on most any hill. Not sure what the engineering says, but it practice says it works well.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, either you're looking at the wrong model, full of it, or I'm just lucky because it absolutely works better than the Banks WG or non WG turbos I had previously on that engine, the ATS 088 on my dump truck or the IDIT truck I drove a while back - It spools faster & makes more boost, overall truck pulls better and I have no issues with EGTs. Can't compare it with a S366, but IMHO it's a great match with the 6.9 and bull moose pump which lets me pull 15-16k GCW and keep 60+ mph on pretty much any hill. Even at 20-22k GCW I'm able to hold 45-50 on most any hill. Not sure what the engineering says, but it practice says it works well.

Well Im glad youre so pleased with your setup! Out of curiosity, did the other turbo idis have new fuel system with a bull moose and water to air intercoolers? Its important when comparing turbos that everything else be identical so you really see the different characteristics of the turbochargers, remember fuel is what makes power and towing ability, air flow is just keeping those cylinder temps down and supplying oxygen to burn that extra fuel.

As for my comment, I apologize for just making a statement without any data, heres why I think the hx35 is a downgrade from the stock turbo:

Without getting to the complications of any calculations, you can see the air flow graphed starts at 10 lbs/min and stops at 52 lbs min on the horizontal axis, but if you look on the vertical axis, you can see it is 3.0 pressure ratio at 52 lbs/in and 1.4 pressure ratio at 10 lbs min. Now lets look at the factory turbo compressor map.

We can see the airflow is quite similar with the stock turbo flowing a bit more than the hx35, but what is important here is the pressure ratios. Looking at the vertical axis, we can see that it takes 1.2 PR to get 10 lbs/min, and 2.5 PR to get 56 lbs min. This means the turbo needs to be driven much harder in the hx35 to get the same airflow as the stock turbo, which is a contribution of the hx35 being designed for a smaller, lower revving engine. As a note, 3.0 pressure ratio on a 6.9 is around 31 psi, which no 6.9 is capable of handling with head bolts, possibly not even with studs.

You mentioned the s366 so heres the map:

You can see this turbo is capable of much more airflow than either of these turbos, and is capable of 85+ lbs/min at the same pressure ratio your hx35 is making 52 lbs/min.

Now you can take this info and do as you like with it, obviously youre happy with your truck and ultimately it is what matters, I just didnt want others to follow the same conversion, put in a lot of work and have a weaker truck than what they had before. I actually have a dyno graph of a built 7.3 with an hx35, the truck had a cam, studs, similar pump as yours, and some upgraded injectors, work done by justin anderson.

All that work was done and run after run the truck finally peaked 200 hp. The following week they changed nothing other than the turbo to an s364 and picked up 45 hp and 80 ft lbs.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And, for reference, you can get ~200HP out of a Banks, ATS or even a restricted factory Turbo setup with stock IP etc. It's not a high bar to cross.
(The Banks Sidewinder, in practice, maxes out around 250HP at the wheels, with a bigger-than-stock IP)