Hunting Season

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Thewespaul, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Thewespaul

Thewespaul Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well it’s officially huntin season here in Texas and my little sister got her first buck during youth season already 29043ABA-6BFF-4893-BC09-434A2F4D3B8C.jpeg E8982884-B206-4F8D-B4B0-237AA74BE001.jpeg
    We’re blessed to be on three hundred acres out here. I’m the seventh generation on the property, been in the family since 1867. We don’t high fence or do any protein just some corn on the driveway.

This year we have a ton of deer, there’s a lot of city growth around us and it’s pushing the deer out to our property.
    Spotted this monster earlier this week 4A66014F-4FA5-41B0-8F27-A84BC9805888.png
    If this isn’t clean enough for the lounge, y’all can move it to the refinery no worries

So let’s see what y’all are doing this huntin season! What are you after and what are you hunting with?

03wr250f, KZF250 and FORDF250HDXLT like this.
  2. FORDF250HDXLT

FORDF250HDXLT The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air Supporting Member

That's a nice one.Hunting season here as well but due to our hard winters,we don't have anything at all like the deer population of the south.I've been hunting since pre-teen and I've yet to get one.I've gotten a nice cow moose before though.That was cool.

3. hesutton

hesutton The Anti-Anderson Supporting Member

Archery started in KY 9/2/17. Modern gun started last Saturday (11/11/17), but I was in Nashville with the wife. However, I plan on spending this weekend in the middle of nowhere alone with my 308 Winchester XPR. LOL

After modern gun season (ends Monday) I'll start putting steel in the ground (trapping season started on the 13th). Gotta work on balancing the predator-prey relationship. Right now, the predators are heavily over populated and deer and turkey numbers are hurting. With low fur prices, no one is trapping and their numbers are starting to get out of control.

Heath

4. Thewespaul

Thewespaul Supporting Member Supporting Member

That’s a sweet gun heath, too big for what we have down here tho, my model 70 243 cal Winchester is plenty with just a 55 grain bulletLOL

Good to see someone caring about maintaining some balance there, the young ones are going for some trophy bucks this year but I’ll probably just nock down some spikes or a few does for meat, need more sausage and meat sticks!

5. hesutton

hesutton The Anti-Anderson Supporting Member

We have bear and elk hunting in KY (just not on my side of the state... LOL) and I hope to have the chance to do some elk and bear hunting in the future. So 308 was a good choice.

Coyotes have caused a lot of problems here. They are invasive (crossed the frozen Mississippi in the 70's) and have hurt or native prey species. I haven't seen a covey of quail in 15 years. Per studies, roughly 70% of new born fawns are lost to predation. The deer that survive are under significant stress and will not reach their genetic potential because of it.

Without folks trapping coons/possums (populations are exceptionally high) due to fur prices, turkey and quail nesting are suffering.

Heath

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017 at 12:38 PM