Humming but not starting

charlie91059

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 1985 F350 and was sitting for 6 months. Went to start it and when I turn the key, it just humms. No turn over or trying to start...just this humming. Any ideas...I'm not mechanically inclined, but when I first went to start it...nothing. Battery is fine. Found a wire under the dash that seemed to touch metal. When I slid the metal bracket in...that is when I got the humming. Seems like maybe the starter is not catching?

Any help would be appreciated.

Charlie

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did you drain the old oil and fill it up with fresh? was it oil without any water? are you able to turn the engine over by hand using a ratchet/socket on the crank?

welcome to oil burners Charlie.you stumbled upon the gosh dang best website for 6.9l/7.3l idi engines this side and the other of the Mississippi river.:D

charlie91059

Reaction score
Thanks, I did not change the oil and I have not tried to hand crank the engine....I'll try those for starters...thanks.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am thinking that the Bendix spring is not engaging the the Bendix gear to the flywheel. The starter motor would just spin and hum. Do you hear the hum start up (gain rpms) and slow down when you let go of the key?

Dave

charlie91059

Reaction score
Thanks...I thought that would be it. Do you know what that wire under the dash by the steering column is that needs to be connected to metal...When it came loose, nothing happened when I turned the key...when I noticed it was dangling and re-connected it that's when it started the Whinning again but not turning over the engine.