huge turbo lag

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No check engine light even hooked in my code reader... nothing at all. I will try to hook up a gauge to the schrader valve to monitir it while driving. I did hook up to my 40 ft travel trailer that weighs in at 9200 lbs last weekend and pulling it i didnt get much boost until around 2000 rpm in any gear at all. forget about going into 5th gear even on level road it wouldnt go over 50 mph, i am getting boost because i can hear the turbo whine. but i did notice under load it appears to have a miss. no codes so i dont know how to track down a bad injector or injector wiring.

fuel pressure isn't monitored by the PCM, so chances are good that could be your issue.

Has the fuel bowl regulator ever been rebuilt? Has the fuel bowl screen ever been cleaned?

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i cant be 100 % positive it is fully open, dont know which direction it needs to be to be open, looking at it from the top is it supposed to be fully clockwise or counter clockwise? The rod going to it is just hanging and the piston is unplugged. And it doesnt idle smooth like i think it should
I had exactly this problem with my 1997. look at the pics posted on page 1(not mine)and figure out which way pulls it fully open. I used a pair of needle nose vise grips on mine as a temporary fix but it made the 5000plus mile trip home from Inuvik NWT like that and i sold it in may and its already changed hands again, I'm guessing the new owner hasn't changed it. mine was disconnected and had felt like there was Zero boost pulling my travel trailer but it was small and not a big challenge. when I found the issue rod unthreaded from the little balljoint pivot mechanicsm on the side of the road i clamped the visegrips on it and gained 5mpg and a lot of power. might have a warm up issue in the winter but it pulled great and I finally had boost.
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online