HPOP Fitting O-rings

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
One year ago, almost to the day, I replaced the HPOP fittings & O-rings on my '02 F250. About a month ago, I left for work and got about 1/2 mile from home, and the truck started running like crap, almost seemed like it was fuel-starved. Limped back to the house, parked, drove another vehicle.

Since I only had weekends to fool with it then (just retired 6/3!) I looked at everything BUT where I should have for a few days, until deciding to put a strong light on the engine. Sure enough, valley FULL of oil. I'd noticed some small drips when parked, nothing major, so I assume it had been running off the back of the engine while driving and just dripping a bit in the dirt at home. At that point, I figured checking the dipstick would be prudent...it was DRY. Took 9-1/2 quarts. Damn!

So, after much degreasing and rinsing, I located the leaks at the O-rings. Again. What a pain they are to get to without disassembling half the fuel system, but we got 'er done.

I can't believe they'd only last a year...any ideas? I haven't had any problems for quite some time, so I haven't bothered you guys...let my membership lapse, too! Just renewed...I wish they'd send a notice or something!

Cheers -
Dave

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two questions: did you rebuild or replace the HPOP snap to connect adapters? Also, how many miles on your truck? It is also possible that the hose connection could be bad. One more question: did you get the ports in the HPOP and the threads on the adapters super clean and put Loctite 680 on the threads before you torqued them into place?

My suggestion would be to try to pinpoint exactly what's leaking, but if you have a high mileage truck and you really want to make for a full proof/long term fix, you could consider changing all the adapters and the hoses. At the end of the day, the STC fittings are subject to relatively high hydraulic pressure and they can and do eventually wear out.

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
Thank you, sir! In answer to your questions:

Last year, the first instance of the problem, I used new fittings. This year, I just replaced the internal O-rings, which were visibly determined destroyed upon inspection, and the external O-rings upon reassembly. The point of leakage was instantly recognizable after cleaning up the mess! This time, I just replaced the obviously faulty parts. They were purchased from a reputable vendor (dieselorings.com) and included the proper Loctite sealant. Everything was cleaned and inspected prior to reassembly. All service procedures were followed to the letter.

This truck has approx. 240 K on the odometer, and only 10 K since the last time I repaired this particular problem. It's not leaking any more at this point, so I imagine I'll just have to wait and see what happens next!

I appreciate your time and trouble. This site has been a lifesaver for me more than once, and the advice is always the best. Thanks again...

Dave

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01