How-to replace your worn door pins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Well this will be my second how-to for you guys. Iv noticed a few people asking from time to time how to change out the door hinge pins to eliminate the door sagging. I have not been able to find a step by step guide to accomplish this. Some people may say well there is no need for a how to on something so easy. I don't care..so here you guys go!!

As you can see here my door is sagged out. The door hinge pins are original and is now starting to eat my new door striker.

You must be registered for see images attach

We will start with the upper hinge. First things first TOOLLLLSSS!! You will need:
- hammer
- 13mm or 1/2 wrench and socket
- dremal or equivalent to grind the top of the pins off
- long punch
- 2 dorman hinge pin kits # 38410
- jack and some 2x4s

Here are the hinge kits i purchased as my local kragen store. They are Dorman part number 38410. I went onto rockauto.com and did a search for that number. Print it out and take it to your local parts store. My kragen price matched them for me and i walked out of there for less than 10$ for 2 of them!!!

The kit includes a pin, 2 bushings and a clip. As you will notice the pin has 2 notches for the clip. The top notch is for when used on the top hinge on the door and the bottom notch is for the clip when used on the bottom hinge of the door.

Lets get started. Take the floor jack and some wood and support the end of the door.

Then get your dremal or something to grind the top of the old pin off until flush with the hinge.

Next take your long punch and begin the hammer the old pin out. I CAUTION you be care full with the hammer and punch near your paint right there..i chipped mine : /

Then we will take our 13mm or 1/2 wrench and take the 2 bolts that hold the hinge onto the DOOR.

As you can see this hinge piece holds both the old bushings that we are replacing. I took mine over to the vice and clamped it down. Then insert the punch through the top hole and punch out the old bottom bushing.

Flip the hinge over and repeat. With both bushings out you can see how ob longed the old one is compared to the new ones.

Take the new bushings and just hammer them in the same way they came out until they are all the way down and flush.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Back at your door wiggle the hinge back into place and start your 2 bolts finger tight. install the new pin in from the top. line everything up and get it all the way through both bushings. you will notice on the top portion of the new pin it has "teeth" in it. you will need to take a hammer and hammer it the rest of the way down until flush.

install the black clip into the top groove under the hinge. Then align your door as best as you can and tighten the 2 13mm bolts.

See next Post for bottom hinge.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
The bottom hinge is a little different because the bushings are in the hinge that actually bolts to the truck and not the door. with my luck and started to take the 3 bolts off for the hinge and the bolt broke right off. So this forced me to replace the 2 bushings with the hinge still in the truck. It is possible.

Start with grinding the top of the pin off flush just like you did with the top hinge.

Punch out the pin just as you did on the top. Take the 2 bolts the hold the hinge to the DOOR and slide the hinge over. you do not need to take it all the way out

The bottom bushing i was able to get out with just the punch. The top was a little harder. i have a really long flat blade screw driver and was able to run it up through the bottom bushing hole and punch out the top bushing.

Installing the top bushing was easy. i just took my hammer and tapped it in there.

The bottom bushing was a pain! But fear not! i came up with an easy way to get it in there. you will need a 13mm socket, a LONG extension for the socket and the original bolt you took out of the door hinge. Slide the new bushing over the bolt like this.

then take everything and come up from the bottom of the hinge. hammer that sucker up in there and you are good to go. the bolt help align everything and get the bushing started.

Once all the new bushings are in and flush move the door hinge part back over and start your 2 bolts into the door finger tight. Then take your new pin and line everything up. Hammer the pin down flush so the "teeth" go into the hinge. Then align your door and tighten the 2 bolts on the door.!!

BAM! for less the 10$ i use little to no effort to shut my door because everything is aligned.!! CHEERS FROM THE TURTLE!

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good write up. I have been through this myself on my old f250. I did mine without taking the hinges off the door though.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a much needed TECH article; good job. ;Sweet

When I did the pins on my 1985, I did not remove the actual hinges.

I was able to knock out the old bushings with a punch.

I squeezed the new ones in place with a pair of Channellocks.

These are bronze "oil-lite" bushings and need be impregnated with oil; else, they won't last long.

Best is to submerge the bushings in oil a day or so prior to installation. ;Sweet

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
nice write up i have been needing to do the pins on my truck! does anyone know if anyone sells the parts to fix the thingy that actually holds the door open?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
that is a good write-up for if your truck already had bushing. the FACTORY hinges were just metal on metal, with no bushings

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
that is a good write-up for if your truck already had bushing. the FACTORY hinges were just metal on metal, with no bushings

To my understanding these were factory. The pins were mushroomed over as like from a factory. I have not seen a tool/pins aftermarket that require you to mushroom over the end of them..

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Every factory truck I have messed with, Dodge, Ford, or GM, has had the bushings.

I have not ran into anything yet that did not have bushings. :dunno

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
great write up.i recently did this to my car.makes it so nice again!
anyone know where i can buy this (new) drivers side upper door hinge?

i see what the problem is now with mine.that white center roller is no longer there.
so that explains why my hinge on both sides of that are worn.sucks cus my door wont stay open.
a good used one looking like that would do the trick just as well as new.salvage yard time i guess.

Last edited:

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great write up
biggin any parts store has them i bought mine in a 4 pack universal pack
well if i get up early enough i may tackle this tomorow

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

i see what the problem is now with mine.that white center roller is no longer there.

That system is entirely different than that found on the earlier trucks, such as my 1985.

On the 1985, there is a little STEEL toothed roller that is engaged by a big fat spring gizmo.

On the earlier trucks, all one ever needs do is occasionally oil the little roller and rotate it to a fresh spot on the spring; a much superior set-up. ;Sweet

Status
Not open for further replies.