How to replace your mechanical fuel pump with a Facet Duralift electric fuel pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say anyone saying anything bad about the pump being so far from the tanks does not understand how the system works.

I will edit the post sorry about my error; I was indeed judging by the gender of the housing, thankyou for the correction =]

And you obviously did not scour the site much, because this debate has been on and on in at 5 threads I can think of in the last 6 months. The topic had been beaten like a skeletal horse. The pump works fine anywhere, but it works better elevated high above the fuel source because it does not like being force fed. The pump can go anywhere. That was the conclusion.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say anyone saying anything bad about the pump being so far from the tanks does not understand how the system works.

And you obviously did not scour the site much, because this debate has been on and on in at 5 threads I can think of in the last 6 months. The topic had been beaten like a skeletal horse. The pump works fine anywhere, but it works better elevated high above the fuel source because it does not like being force fed. The pump can go anywhere. That was the conclusion.

Don't get too excited. It's not a big deal.LOL

I will say, the only two Facet DuraLift failures I've seen here have been pumps that were under the hood (EZ and 6.9dieselfreak). Not seen failures (not saying that it hasn't happend) on frame rail mounted DuraLifts. Reguardless, it's pointless to argue about it. It's like debating weather big boobs are better than small boobs...... everybody likes em, they just have a different preference.-Showtits

:D

Heath

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
I like my little pump I installed on the fuel filter bracket. I keep an extra one behind the seat. It died the other day, 10 minutes and the new one is installed. Lifetime warranty so I just swap them out at the parts store.

boxathey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like my little pump I installed on the fuel filter bracket. I keep an extra one behind the seat. It died the other day, 10 minutes and the new one is installed. Lifetime warranty so I just swap them out at the parts store.

What pump P/n are you using?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished reading through this, great install info thanks! I'm checking into one of these as I write this now to get past the HP intank pump I have already got...ugh!

One thing about a high pressure pump is the elimination of air in the system. Pressure forces air out IMHO if it has a place to collect. Maybe I'm wrong...but who knows....

So for now, since this works and works well, this pump drawing fuel through my Racor FG 500 mounted right before it, then perhaps INTO the stock filter! Anyway I do it, I'll be making sure I have a T at the IP with my fuel pressure gauge attached to monitor head pressure at the IP!

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write up!

Rather than blocking off the mechanical lift pump, can you just loop a piece of fuel line from the inlet to the outlet and fill with diesel?

I like the built in redundancy should the electric pump fail.

Would an electric pump help with an IP that has hot start issues?

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Nice write up!

Rather than blocking off the mechanical lift pump, can you just loop a piece of fuel line from the inlet to the outlet and fill with diesel?

I like the built in redundancy should the electric pump fail.

Would an electric pump help with an IP that has hot start issues?

I would think the fuel in that little loop would end up getting very hot from just general engine heat and from being pumped constantly and will probably end up damaging the pump.

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stupid question of the day...what diaphragm (that ruptures) would cause diesel to pump into the CC? A seal in the lift pump?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is a diaphram that the arm on pump works up n down creating a vacuum drawing fuel into the pump and pushing up to the IP.

Get a hold of one n rip into it...or maybe someone here can to show...wait that's such a great idea I'll do that!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great write-up, and headed to the tech articles. It was woefully overdue, and the one I had been hoping to complete is still a long ways off. Congrats. This is not as comprehensive as I had planned, but is great for the Duralift fans.

Reaction score
Some notes on the Carrier/Facet/Duralift pump install........

I was going to post these as a response to the tech article DesertBen44 wrote up, but it's locked.....

I did this job yesterday and have a few notes that some may find useful:

1. Temporarily removing (or, at minimum, relocating) the vacuum pump makes this job a lot easier. You can get at the mechanical pump very easily from the top if the vacuum pump is out of the way.

2. For the fuel pump block-off plate, use the Spectre 42473 unit pictured in the tech article. Others have had issues with the plate getting caught up on a machined lip that runs around the perimeter of the mounting point. This is because the plates from other companies are MUCH larger. I ordered both the Spectre and the Mr. Gasket version, and the Mr. Gasket was nearly 1/8" wider and taller. The Spectre also comes with the mounting hardware and gasket, so win-win.

3. Like any other job involving a gasket, the success of a leak-free install comes from having a clean surface. A razor blade comes in handy to get the old gasket material off. Just make sure to stuff a rag in the opening so you don't get crud into the oil, though I'll probably do an oil change in a bit just for good measure.

4. For the wiring, I used Painless Wiring fuel pump wiring kit, PN 30131. PN 50102 would also work. The difference between the two is that the 30131 kit comes with the 'weatherproof' wiring terminals whereas the 50102 comes with the basic stuff. If I were to do it again, I'd use the 50102 since I couldn't get a good crimp on the weatherproof connectors and ended up using some basic terminals I had plus a bit of heatshrink. Yes, there are other ways to wire this that are cheaper, but this gets you everything you need with good quality components and the correct gauge wiring. On the downside, I was disappointed to find that, even though the Painless packaging claims the kit is 'Made in the USA', the HELLA relay in the kit clearly states 'Made in China'.

5. For the 'key on' signal for the pump, instead of wiring to the FSS (made me a bit nervous, plus the beefy harness looked a bit intimidating to get into), I used a fuse tap and wired into a circuit on the fuse panel that does the same thing. I cannot remember which fuse it was specifically, but it's a 15A fuse that I've tapped off before to power my LED gauges. This fuse tap works very well and gives you a provision for a fuse on the new circuitry: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...C-fuse-tap/_/N-255s?itemIdentifier=32414_0_0_ . For access into the cab, I've been using the large rubber plug on the driver's side of the firewall where the computer would sit if our trucks were EFI. It's very easy to access by removing the driver's side kick panel. The plug can be removed to make drilling easier, plus it basically makes its own grommet.

6. I mounted the pump on the bracket that runs from the radiator support to the passenger battery tray. Instead of fabricating a mount, I drilled holes in the bracket and mounted the pump directly to it. I had to remove the tray to get access for my drill (went in from the back), but it was an easy job. Pros to this location: easy install (wiring and plumbing are all very close), safe location for the pump, easy to inspect the pump and bowl (as opposed to under the truck). Cons to this location: access to the bowl is tight, removal of the pump will require removal of the battery tray, removal of the radiator shroud will require removal of the pump since the inlet barb is in the way.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh, one other 'note'........

Don't wire the signal for the relay to your headlights, lol! I have two fuse taps going in my fuse panel right now. One is to power my LED gauges whenever the key is on, the other ties into the instrument panel illumination circuit and is meant to signal my gauges to dim when the headlights are on. I got a little impatient and didn't pay attention to which wire I spliced into, so imagine my disappointment when I threw the key for the first time and nothing happened. I sat back, though about it for a second, then turned on the headlights only to hear the fuel pump start ticking away.

*face palm*

Mike

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, one other 'note'........

Don't wire the signal for the relay to your headlights, lol! I have two fuse taps going in my fuse panel right now. One is to power my LED gauges whenever the key is on, the other ties into the instrument panel illumination circuit and is meant to signal my gauges to dim when the headlights are on. I got a little impatient and didn't pay attention to which wire I spliced into, so imagine my disappointment when I threw the key for the first time and nothing happened. I sat back, though about it for a second, then turned on the headlights only to hear the fuel pump start ticking away.

*face palm*

Mike

LOL That's great! Got my first good laugh of the day! Thanks a lot for the info to give some options and streamline some of this job. It is on my to-do list for the Spring. Thanks!

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
whiteboyslo;782857 On the downside said:
Thanks for this info, Mike. Will probably take on this job later this year. Chuffing exhaust valve and dead E4OD are this week's priorities. :frustrate

Saddened to see Hella (a German company) going to China. (Avoiding the obvious joke there) As an aircooled VW guy too, I'm hating to replace German parts with Asian junk. My recent pain has been ignition switches: Been through three of them in the last 6 months. Finally got a good one (so far) last week.

Meanwhile, I picked up a NOS German switch from ebay last week. $125 sounds like a lot for a 4-wire ignition switch, but that's probably less than from a VW dealer, if it were still available from them today.

Continental fan belts made in India, VDO gauges made in Malaysia....

Oops, way off topic... pardon the rant.......

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
For some reason I still have a little respect for the German/euro companies trying to keep production out of China itself..

Being a German car guy I buy parts that are made all over Europe. As long as it's not made in a Asian country I'll keep trying to support them. My Mercedes front end parts are mostly Lemforder and are usually made in Turkey or spain.. or even Germany!

I am pissed about companies claiming products are USA made when obviously the relays are CHINA

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online