How to replace your fuel tank selector valve

firfyter

Reaction score
I bought a tank selector valve to replace my factory valve that went bad. The new one was not exactly like the factory one so I had to splice in a new wire harness for it and modify the plumbing for the fuel lines. I made a video that hopefully helps to simplify the process for others that find themselves having to replace their valve.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Yep. The connector is different and the hose barbs are reversed. Had to install it upside down on mine.

You must be registered for see images attach

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Firfyter,

Really nice video, thank you for posting!

1) Can you start a new thread in the IDI tech article section and duplicate this one?
2) Can I suggest the subject line be “How to replace your fuel tank selector valve”.
3) Also discuss and leave a link where you bought the valve.
4) Be sure to attach your YouTube video.

Here is the link if your are not sure what I am referring to.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Oh I finally got around to watching your video .... and it's kind of funny.

I seems that you reversed the power wires, reversed the sending unit wires, and reversed the hose connections, making it work and easier to understand, but technically it's all "wrong" vs the instructions.

The "upper" barbs (with it mounted upside down as you do in your video) are supposed to be the front tank, and you point it out in your video as being connected to your rear tank. That's according to the instructions:

The aftermarket uses A-F instead of numbers, so I'll label it as such below.

It appears that you did:

(nothing) - F
#1 brown -> E
#2 red -> D
#3 front -> C
#4 gauge -> B
#5 rear -> A

The "proper" pinout to match the instructions should be:

(nothing) - F
#2 red -> E
#1 brown -> D
#5 rear -> C
#4 gauge -> B
#3 front -> A

So yeah, you reversed brown and red power wires, as well as front and rear sending unit wires. But since you also reversed the hoses vs the instructions, it should work. LOL

I just went outside and double checked my work from a year ago and yeah, I have it hooked up the "proper" way with the wires and hoses since I went by the instructions. It's far more confusing the "proper" way, I admit. Dunno why they wrong the instructions that way. Maybe so it wouldn't conflict with the Ford factory harness patent or something? IE: Mixing up the wires on the harness.

Just thought I'd mention that since your easier way completely conflicts with the instructions that come with that style valve and may confuse someone in the future without this clarification if they do your wiring but do the hoses the way the instructions say. Might also confuse yourself in the future if you don't realize the hoses are reversed and you go and connect them up per the instructions, if you go back some day and replace the valve again.

Oh and for some slight extra confusion for follow Econoline owners, vans have different wire colors, but the same pinout:

#1 brown (only one the same)
#2 is orange(?)
#3 is a lighter green, sort of olive (front tank)
#4 is yellow (gauge)
#5 is a slightly darker green (rear tank)

Last edited:

firfyter

Reaction score
Firfyter,

Really nice video, thank you for posting!

1) Can you start a new thread in the IDI tech article section and duplicate this one?
2) Can I suggest the subject line be “How to replace your fuel tank selector valve”.
3) Also discuss and leave a link where you bought the valve.
4) Be sure to attach your YouTube video.

Here is the link if your are not sure what I am referring to.

Big Bart I would be happy to move the thread but I have no clue how to do that.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Big Bart I would be happy to move the thread but I have no clue how to do that.
I believe that only the moderators can actually move a thread. Bart was suggesting that you remake another thread that's just like this thread in the Tech articles section.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online