How To: Remove That Infamous Top Starter Bolt

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just how many cus words do you suppose that one single bolt is accountable for anyway?:D

This is a very short and sweet pictorial guide which will likely save you from using the lord's name in vain once and for all.

Your probably going to be very surprised when you see this.You'll likely come to understand that,that top bolt isn't actually that hard to get to,after all.I know,your skeptical but just wait until next time.You'll see.

I took this pic at the slightly wrong angle.What you need is a socket and ratchet combo measuring approx 9 and 3/4 of an inch.
You must be registered for see images attach

If your wires are in the way to do this,then you'll need to disconnect them first.Your batteries should be unplugged before you pull your starter anyway.So go ahead and move them out of the way.When you go to put the starter back in,route your wires out of the way for an easier and quicker job of it next time.

Place your socket and extension(s) up in as shown,first without your ratchet on.Guide it onto the top bolt by feeling the head of the bolt with your other hand.Now that you've guided the combo onto the head of the bolt,slowly and carefully slide your ratchet on and turn it out.

You'll notice if you try and turn it out all the way,you'll not be able to remove your ratchet so before you bind up and have to turn it back in,simply take your ratchet off and finish turning the bolt out just by spinning the extension(s).

This also means of course,that you'll turn the bolt back in when you replace your starter,by using just the extension until you gain the clearance to fit your ratchet on and snug the bolt down.

That's it.That really is all there is to it.Now you can remove and install a starter on an IDI engine in less than 20 minutes from start to finish and keep in good graces with the creator.:D

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's exactly how I've done it, with the IDI and at least one of the PSDs. It's always made me wonder what all the fuss is about.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have invented some new words getting to this bolt. Best idea I have found that is 3/8 drive wratchet. 6 inch extension. Now getting the bolt back in I tape the socket to the extension and the bolt is tapped to the socket lightly. Its my easy way to reach something impossible.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one more hint. do the top bolt first when removing. less load on the bolt. when installing, do the top bolt last. if your fingers aren't small enough to get the bolt in easily, put a couple of layers of masking tape across the bolt head and stuff into the socket for a firm fit and it will easily thread with using the socket and extension.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't completely agree towcat. On the reinstall, I snug the bottom two bolts finger tight first to hold the starter in place. Then I completely tighten the top bolt. I then use the palm of my hand to give the front of the starter an upwards bump, fairly hard. Then I finish tightening the other two bolts. I do this because once I had a starter that for some reason didn't seat all the way in when i tightened the top bolt. It would just grind when trying to start. After I figured out what went wrong, it changed my starter installation for good. I also don't think that the top bolt is very hard to remove or install. Now on the "ought to be illegal" A/C Delco starters that the first trucks came with, I find those bolts MUCH harder to get to than on the Mitsubishi type of starters.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't completely agree towcat. On the reinstall, I snug the bottom two bolts finger tight first to hold the starter in place. Then I completely tighten the top bolt. I then use the palm of my hand to give the front of the starter an upwards bump, fairly hard. Then I finish tightening the other two bolts. I do this because once I had a starter that for some reason didn't seat all the way in when i tightened the top bolt. It would just grind when trying to start. After I figured out what went wrong, it changed my starter installation for good. I also don't think that the top bolt is very hard to remove or install. Now on the "ought to be illegal" A/C Delco starters that the first trucks came with, I find those bolts MUCH harder to get to than on the Mitsubishi type of starters.
we're actually talking the same procedure if you read carefully.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another tip.I just ran into this tonight putting my starter in and I recall this one tricking me before a time or two,now that it just happened again.
When feeling up there to guide the top bolt back in,carefully look at the bellhousing bolt and feel the back side of it's hole.Then from there,slide your finger down to find the starter hole.Without doing this,you can find yourself wasting time trying to guide the top bolt into the bellhousing hole lol!
I went and pulled the two bottom bolts back out and pulling the starter down to take a look and I saw the error of my ways and remember making that mistake in the past.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey.This just came to me.Do you guys realize what we could do? You could take a long threaded rod and make a very long top bolt.Set two nuts (I would use nyloc's) to normal length for the starter.Then another set of dual nuts out at the end for your custom easy to reach bolt head,just past the starter,or actually I guess just a couple inches short of the starter,this way a deep socket with a ratchet can back it right out without fuss and so that taking it out and in is effortless as well.This would be super fast to turn out and to turn it back in and line it up with your fingers super easy too.
Someone should try it and post a pic.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I've used the extension and deep socket trick, but instead of a normal 3/8 ratchet, I used a 3/8 Air Ratchet.... not an impact.....

The package is just the right length, and push the lever and the bolt backs right out.....

For the install, I replace the top bolt with a stud and nut.... hang the starter on the stud, put the bolts in and tighten them, put the nut on and use the air ratchet to put it back together.......

Another handy tip, if your significant other doesn't mind helping (or enjoys helping like mine does) her MUCH smaller hands makes easier work of dealing with those fasteners, since her hand actually fits.......

Here is the type of ratchet I am talking about, if you are not familiar:

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I use 2' of extensions, and come in from in front of the motor. Can easily use a power tool when doing it this way.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a stud in the top hole. Took the starter in and out about 4 times in an hour at the campground. Makes life so much easier. Learned that trick from here. Even if the stud spins out when you remove, just stick it back in.

One more tidbit. There have been folks say you can use a psd starter. That is partly true. It will not work on a ZF. I'm told it will not work on a C6 but supposedly it will work on an E4OD truck. The nose is too short for the others. I experienced that first hand on the ZF.

Grady J

Reaction score
Switching to the nippondenso style starter turns the top bolt into a non issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx