How to remove a front knuckle? And other process-related questions.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tightening may help, but that adjustment on top is because the gears are tapered. Adjustment works great for setting new gears with a straight taper. Once the gears wear and have a curve in them they can't really be adjusted back to a new feeling. They tend to go from really loose to over tight. Nothing to lose trying adjustment a worn gearbox. Move the allen screw a flat at a time and test drive. Keep track or mark the screw so you can return to the original spot. To tight and the vehicle will not track straight will tend to settle left or right of center. When the steering box is centered it is designed to have a tighter fit in the gears to prevent wander.

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at reman steering boxes. I've heard of RedHead, but they're pricey. Worth it? Or is the AutoZone brand ok too?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think the parts store ones can be hit or miss. I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet here in the not too distant future and buy a Red Head myself. The lower seal on mine leaks a little bit and I don't think it's in the best condition.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could just buy some Lucas oil stop leak as it is a bit thicker and then buy more. Maybe a bottle per day. (Not saying that’s where I’m at but a Redhead may be in my future)

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The two or three parts store gearboxes I tried on my old truck were every bit as loose as the one I took off for what it's worth.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The two or three parts store gearboxes I tried on my old truck were every bit as loose as the one I took off for what it's worth.
I haven't had that kind of bad luck. The ones that I got may not have been Red Head quality, but they were much better than the old ones. Of course, like everything else, the quality of the parts store steering boxes is probably going down. Maybe I just got lucky as well?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't had that kind of bad luck. The ones that I got may not have been Red Head quality, but they were much better than the old ones. Of course, like everything else, the quality of the parts store steering boxes is probably going down. Maybe I just got lucky as well?

That or my old gearbox wasn't quite as bad as yours was lol

adamsanders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went through this process (literally 2 days ago). I originally went with a Cardone box from Advance Auto and while it didn’t leak, it wasn’t very tight. I looked around and found that I could get a Motorcraft reman off Rockauto for about $60 more than the parts store. The reman was way better, both in tightness and overall quality. For instance, the Cardone box had been painted all over - on the seals, on the input spline, and the mounting holes. I had to take a bolt and “clean” the threads to just get it in. Small things like that really annoy me. The Motorcraft reman was way more professional.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at reman steering boxes. I've heard of RedHead, but they're pricey. Worth it? Or is the AutoZone brand ok too?

Before I got another box, I would get someone inside the cab, and get them to lightly wiggle the wheel back and forth, just enough to where they are in the "play" area. While they are doing that, you look carefully down on top of the steering box.

If the pitman arm is not moving, then we can assume the play is not something in the lower steering linkage.

Stare at the input shaft to the box. Is it moving? If it's not, look on up the shaft toward the firewall, you may have to uncover some stuff there. This thing has a double D slip shaft in it with a little leaf spring deal that likes to break or get lost, and will cause play. Also check the rag joint.

If that is all good, and the input shaft to the box is moving, and the pitman arm is not, then you are pretty much correct about the box.

If you want adjust the box you can, but turn it very little. To be truthful, I have never been very successful adjusting this screw, it just makes the box too tight.

P.S. Once you tighten the screw, if you find you have a stiff spot off center in the steering, that is a sign your steering box is not centered up and the tie rods need adjusting to re-center the box.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess my first thought of "cut a finger off" wouldn't have helped then?
This is what I use to remove a knuckle...

You must be registered for see images attach

Oh wait. We're talking about trucks, aren't we?

Yeah, this lockdown has skewed my sense of humor too...

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Also got a new "seat cover" on. Thanks to my old Mexican Blanket (are they still called that?), a knife and lighter for the seatbelt holes, I got me a new seat for $5! (Sorta ...)

My question: (only reason I ask.....just so I'll know how/what you did so I can put me a new "seatcover" on too someday) What's the impact for? I understand the knife & lighter trick for seatbelt holes. Impact's got me bit confused tho.....did you impact the new cover with 16penny nails to the old seat???
Inquiring minds need to know!! LOL LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online