HOW TO-DIY coolant plugs to petcocks

8gitmusik1

1994_E350_7.3_IDI_N/A_E4OD
Reaction score
Hello DIESELBROTHERS!

What do you all think of putting petcocks on either side of 6.9/7.3 IDI blocks for easy, draining of coolant from engine blocks when needed? Is it a good idea/bad idea/hazard/dangerous?

Where can I find info/pics and pro's and cons on replacing coolant drain plugs on 6.9/7.3 IDI blocks? I am replacing radiator, all hoses, etc.

If it is a good idea, not to crazy a mod, and not too expensive then I want to do it once and have it on mine and done since it will be all apart anyway.

Anyone that has done this already...... what is the thread size for the coolant plug and are they the same or different for the driver and passenger side of the block?

Also, is it course or fine thread and anyone have written down the correct diameter of plug hole so I can get the correct petcocks before I begin.

Also, any suggestion of best brand of petcock to use? Is there a "KIT" available (hint ;) (thewespaul)?

ANY BEST PRACTICES OR PROCEEDURES THAT WORK BEST?

Also, have seen people running clear hoses off petcocks and Im concerned about heat issues if I do that as well.

Please post ANY pics, step by step help,

Does anyone have any more info/ experience on this topic?

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I have petcock drains on Driver & passanger side of my block. Don't remember if they are 1/8" or 1/4" NPT, but they are NPT. They work fine for me when I need to drain the block.
Pass. side is just in front of my block heater.
Dr side is just behind the oilcooler.

8gitmusik1

Reaction score
I have petcock drains on Driver & passanger side of my block. Don't remember if they are 1/8" or 1/4" NPT, but they are NPT. They work fine for me when I need to drain the block.
Pass. side is just in front of my block heater.
Dr side is just behind the oilcooler.
Thanks for the feedback. Any preference of brand of petcocks, suggestions for easier/better R and R or anything else?

8gitmusik1

Reaction score
They are 1/4" NPT.
Was just searching the threads for this just now.

BTW, do you recommend OK ****** 1/4" NPT petcocks or any another brand?

I don't have the factory plugs out yet so knowing the size beforehand is a plus

Thanks, IDIBRONCO

8gitmusik1

Reaction score
PLEASE READ Ya'll !?! My Coolant flush/New Radiator PLAN using filtered, really clean WELL WATER !?!

So still asking you ALL important questions, this site has been a HUGE guide on what to do and what NOT to do....BUT.... PROBLEM?!?

Is anyone ELSE on WELL water? I am out of town, in a country setting, 14 miles from my nearest town/city center. I have to flush my system before I install the new radiator, hoses, etc and I can't start my van yet as I am still dealing with several other issues. I don't have access to city water and if I did it, (CITY WATER) also has chloine and floride, etc. How bad (detrimental) would it really be if I COLD FLUSHED my coolant system with WELL WATER?

In my situation, my plan is to take radiator out after draining all coolant into a plastic children's pool and removing block plugs and thermostat,taking upper and lower radiator hoses off, of course, and then adding a very fine mesh inline filter on incoming well water supply onto the feed end of my garden hose to collect any well water impurities before it enders my garden hose gently spraying water thru my block thru the water neck and then backflushing thru my heater core thru the inlet heater core hose until coolant is gone and liguid is as clear as possible.

Then, my plan is to go and proceed with the old radiator removal and new aluminum Champion Cooling 3 core radiator and new GATES hoses and new Echlin thermostat, and then once everythings buttoned back up, adding a jug of prestone radiator flush and filtered WELL water and then letting the coolant system sit a few days while I finish getting the new starter on and getting the other drivers side bank of 4 OEM glow plug wiring bullet ends from Accurate Diesel finished and oil and filter change.

Then, hopefully, start the engine, get it to temperature with heater on and do a coupl more coolant flushes with the new radiator, hoses, thermostat, installed. Then, after 2 or three more flushes to as clear a fluid as I can get (also, draining the block coolant at least 2X. I will then buton up the block plugs after final drain and put 4 gallons of Fleetguard SCA pre-charge and Distilled water, then BURP the whole coolant system till full, adding up to 1 more gallon of Fleetguard concentrated precharge till SCA test strips show at least a 50/50 level.

Am I on the right track here? Is there ANYTHING that I shouldn't do (besides using well water, which I know is bad, but HOW bad?) and ANY solid evidence that just using filtered well water as a flushing tool that won't saty in the system for very long. Is this a deal breaker?

I'm still gathering info on the radiator changout BEFORE I get into replacing the leaking OEM radiator and all hoses and adding petcocks.

Help/more advice HUGELY appreciated!

8gitmusik1

Reaction score
Ok, so some others from different forums also chimed in.

Thought I'd revise my plan a bit and post it. So, from others suggestions, I won't be letting the well water sit with the prestone flush for any more than the same day when I do the complete multiple flush and refill, so it won't rust the inside of the block anymore than it is. Good thinking those that suggested it.

And for the record, I don't have a truck anymore as I'm partially medically disabled so, as such the van works better. And, living on a tight budget in my 50's just trying to do my best with what I got to work with which, is why I'm here asking questions and learning from you all.

I use to have a wifey, to help back me up when things like this occur, but I found out the hard way, that it is better overall I think, even going thru the tough times and of lack of transportation and such right now, I'd rather be lonely and struggling to figure out how to get this ol van back on the road, which is temporary..... than have to be miserable, permanently, LOL.

Heck, now, thinking about it, since I've found these Diesel forums, I'm not as lonely either. I get a chance to read and learn on a topic I love and here from all of your experiences, challenges and the WINS' you folks all achieve while dealing with your mods, fixes, and the like and it really makes the evenings alone here a bit easier. Go figure.

Thanks to all you folks out there helping me figure this diesel van out.

Last edited:

8gitmusik1

Reaction score
Now, here is another take from another user on another forum but he has a really good point.

Although modding the block coolant drain plugs over and installing petcocks (not to be confused, with PEACOCKS, btw, lol) is a convenient upgrade on first thought, the orifice of the inside of the 1/4" petcock is smaller than the OEM plug. That, while easier to initially drain, may ALSO become a source of problems, due to the smaller diameter of the petcock versus the OEM coolant drain plug, which, may "plug up" the petcocks oulet port during routine draining and actually become more INCONVENIENT, as a result.

Also, the OEM coolant plug will allow the MAX flow of the ports to efficiently drain the coolant AND any RUST SCALE. and other CONTAMINANTS that may be too large to fit thru the smaller petcock opening, but may come out easily with the entire coolant drain plug opening available without obstruction or in other words, the DOWNSIZING of the diameter due to ADDING the "supposedly" convenient aftermarket petcocks.

Well, this has got me reconsidering this mod, and thinking that it's probably better and cheaper, and more effeicient to keep things as they are and just continue to use the OEM plugs, with the mod that, I will, once I remove them, give them a nice coat of copper ANTI-SEIZE before re-installing for EASIER removal the NEXT time a coolant flush is needed.

What do you all think about the PRO's and CON's of this?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online