How much blowby is too much blowby?

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can you tell, how do you measure it? When do you say "well crap, its time for a rebuild". I have oil running down the oil dipstick tube with mist around the opening when the stick is in place. The truck starts and runs fine, but it sure leaves a mess everywhere I park. Just curious...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Compression test engine before making those decisions lots is based on that kind of information as blow by though measurable to some degree is subjective to what some find as too much....

JM2CW

Al

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the easy things first too, if the CDR valve is plugged up, the next thing the crank case vapours go to is the dip stick, my old 6.9 puffs like a freight train when you take the oil fill cap off, have to add a quart every week or two, how much oil do you have to put it and how often?

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of that is from leaks. I have issues, no doubt. Trying to decide to fix it or burn it. If I'm going to fix it I'll have to fix my Chevy first so I'll have something to drive in the meantime. Always more issues than money or time it seems, but winter is coming so things will maybe start to slow down.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine burned 1 gallon in 120 miles. It leaked very little. That was my limit. Every time I needed the truck I had to fill the oil up. I found a good running used engine and just swapped.

youngunbd

Reaction score
I thought i had ridiculous amounts of blowby so then I began chasing everything down... No more CDR lol Previous owner hocked it in favor of a slobber tube straight out the bottom... When test driving the truck I had no less than two people (the only two I noticed at least) tell me the truck was on fire... I could only just laugh and give a thumbs up!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01