How hard to make a E4OD to ZF-6?

nicksorenson

Reaction score
It's my turn for E4ODOA $oon! I'm not looking forward to it. I stuck slightly $400 into sensors and dealer scanning and evaluation. It still is having some issues and the dealer recommends replacing with a rebuilt unit.

From all I've read, there are many electrical problems possible with the tranny. I'd like to say heck with it and put a manual into the truck.

First will a ZF-6 from a Powerstroke fit? I may be able to get one for $600.

Second, what is involved? How expensive, and what parts?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely the ZF 5 from an 87-97 would be SO much easier. One guy from GA did this swap not that many years back on the diesel stop. It worked well for him, but I don't think it was anywhere near a bolt in swap...which the ZF 5 would be(more or less)

topgunn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed my E40D to ZF5 on 92 F350 4X4. I got trans/transfercase and both driveshafts from a 89 super duty cab with 10' delivery box. I got pedal assy. and crosse member from yard. I bought a SMF from NAPA. The E40D is 6" shorter than the ZF5, reason for new crossmember. I used the front d/s but the rear on 89 was 2" longer, driveshaft shop cut, welded and balanced for 150 bucks. I bought the clutch master and slave assy from NAPA also. My wife and I did it without too much trouble. I am 68 so it took me awhile but it is in and working. I got tired of glitches in system causing t/c problems. Hope this helps.

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
the zf 6 is a better stronger trans then the zf 5 but it is not going to be easy to find one and if you do its most likley going to be pretty expensive. the zf6 from a 7.3 will bolt to the idi. you will need to transfercase that goes with the zf6 because the output shaft sizes are different from a zf5 or e4od. so in the end you can get a zf6 to work but it is not going to be cheap:eek:

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that the 6 speed will bolt up, but the clutch is what is the problem. I think it was something about the bolt circle being different, and the flywheel depth is different from the ZF5.
Again, I'm not sure on this, I'm not sure where I read it.
Good luck!
It would be cool to see, I'm getting tired of breaking E4od parts myself.

nicksorenson

Reaction score
I can get a ZF6 from a 7.3 PSD for $650. But that's it, no other parts. I'm afraid I'd be nickel and dimed on the rest I'd need to patch it in.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before you get too wound up over grafting in a ZF6, you should take a look at the ratios and ask yourself do you really need the mid-ratio splits or is a ZF5 just fine. Being on a budget and a rather thin one at it, it just might kill you trying to do the job. The guy(Jaybee...iirc) who did graft one in worked as a automotive engineer for a custom chassis builder. Not only did he have the technical background, he also had the resources to do the physical work too.
So what does a ZF6 gain? If you are pulling a load at max gross or max combined gross, you will come across a situation where in one gear you at taching out and the next gear up, you are lugging. This is where you will really appreciate the need for smaller steps in the mid-ratio area where a ZF6 has.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good call Calvin...sadly Jaybee had to sell his truck and I don't think he hangs out on the IDI boards too much at least not here. 650 for a ZF6 is great would be good for a 5 even....but I think you'll probably get more than nickel and dimed on the rest of the parts. It may be a tough job...not knowing your background or what fabrication skills your have or what tools you have available.... its going to be hard for anyone to tell you what to do.