How does the EBP system work?

Mackdog

Reaction score
Posted in a different forum but still cannot get a clear answer as to how the EBP system works on the 99+ 7.3's.

You must be registered for see images attach
Early 1999 F-350 7.3. For a while it would seem sluggish going down the road like you were pushing a weight down the road. This was with no trailer though. So I used Forscan to read codes and monitor PIDS, and I have attached 2 pictures of the PIDS. Then I realized it could be the EBP sensor causing the problems because of what I read on here and other forums. So I unplugged the EBP sensor and sure enough it felt like it had more power again. So this weekend I decided to clean the EBP tube and sensor then plug it back in. Both tube and sensor appeared to be ok, tube did not appear to have any leaks in it. When plugged in, it has very sluggish acceleration and you can hear the loud hiss sometimes at low RPM's. Then unplugged it goes away and has plenty of power again. Is there a way to test the EBP sensor? Would something else be causing the EBP valve to close, something like the EOT sensor or ECT sensor?

I am hoping someone here can help. I do not want to replace the EBP sensor if that is not causing the issue.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a butterfly valve that closes during cold engine warm up and/or other conditions the PCM deems appropriate. Some folks remove the butterfly on high performance applications as they feel it impedes flow, while others (especially on OBS trucks) like to override this with a manual switch to make a "poor man's exhaust brake". I did the latter and it's really nice for engine braking with a trailer (one of the best upgrades per dollar around).

Google is your friend, try this link for how to test/troubleshoot.

Good luck

https://www.dieselbombers.com/94-98...icles/95930-exhaust-back-pressure-sensor.html

You must be registered for see images

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First mod on both my trucks (many years ago) was to gut the valve and plug the pedistal. No need for that nonsense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VWAudiFord

Members online