How do you define cold?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by jwalterus, Dec 1, 2016.

1. jwalterus

jwalterus Made in America

There are many of us from many different areas with a lot of differences in weather.......
    How do YOU define cold weather?

Around here, it's "cool" below 40*F, "chilly" under 20*F, and cold once it drops below zero..........
    When you hit -20 and lower, we call it "bitter" if there's wind (which is always, this is ND after all LOL)..........

I should say, to me it was pretty warm today, upper 20s, shoveled a bunch of snow in a t-shirt.......

2. hce

hce So can i.... Supporting Member

I measure by how hard the seat is. I I jump in the pickup and I don't sink down in the seat, its cold.

towcat likes this.
  3. F350camper

F350camper BOOST!

for me anything below 20°F is cold. thats all i need LOL

4. jwalterus

jwalterus Made in America

I wonder if any of our west coast members have had the fun of sitting down on a vinyl bench seat and having the vinyl break because it's too cold...........
    BTDT LOL

saburai likes this.
  5. IDIoit

IDIoit MachinistFabricator Supporting Member

yes we have lol, cold to me is 30*
    yes, above.
    my preferred temp is 95-106 lol
    right now its 53,
    itll hit 43 tonight, so ill be inside with the heater set to 71

saburai likes this.
  6. austin92

austin92 Full Access Member

Indiana here. 40 degrees is usually about when I think about wearing something more than jeans and a t shirt. Single digits is when I don't want to go out side lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snicklas likes this.
  7. pelky350

pelky350 Full Access Member

Central Oregon climate, not very hot in summer 90* and cold here is 30* and below but for the most part it stays between 30 and 50 in the winter. Very boring weather here LOL

8. tbrumm

tbrumm Full Access Member

In southwest WI, the temps have been around 45° for the daytime high and around 30° for the overnight low. Perfect working weather for me. I can dress light (jeans and sweatshirt) and not sweat profusely while working. I normally don't have a problem staying warm even if the temp is 10° below, but much below that I try to stay in and do "office work". The wind is always a factor too. If there is no wind, it can be surprisingly comfortable at very low temps. When the wind starts really whipping up though at low temps, it can make for a long day in the field sometimes. I still prefer the cooler temps. to the hot summer temps. Once the temp starts getting up past 85°, my productivity starts to go down. Must be my blood is too thick. My Wife dragged me to Florida for a week last winter. The first few days it was 90° and i thought I was gonna melt. It is surprising how quick the body can adapt though. By the end of the week the warm weather felt good.

9. icanfixall

icanfixall Official GMM hand model

On the west coast about 1 mile from the pacific ocean I worked in a huge generating station. We made more power than hoover dam...:eek::thumbsup: Many nights I was called in to clean surface condensers of all the trash that came in on the sea water we used for coolant thru them. Usually it was around 40 degrees. Dark and raining. Inside the condensers it was probably 120 or higher and you were in a cloud of hot sea water steam. Takes about an hour to clean out the trash. then you climb out into that cold wind and rain.. That was cold. your sweaty thru ALL your clothes. then they get cold from the rain and weather. As they touch your skin you think someone just shot you. Move any and you hurt somewhere else. This was cold. The pay was double time but very hard work. This was not the toughest job either. the guys up the ploes working in the rain and wind had it worse. Most of their work is done with hot lines because NOBODY wants to loose their power at home....

10. Dieselcrawler

Dieselcrawler i pooped today! Staff Member

We are finally getting the correct temps for this time of year. Been sweating to much for it to be November and now December. 40's for s high. Can't wait for colder. I'm a furry bastard, I like the cold

11. pafixitman

pafixitman Registered User

Funny you ask. I was raised in Maryland, relocated to GA for a few years with a bunch of remodeling work in FL. Left GA and moved to Milwaukee. During the winter there I experienced -25* with -45* wind chill. THAT was cold!

I would say here in Maryland under 20* is cold. It truly is relative to where you live. In GA they thought anything under 45* was cold. I guess minus 25 in WI was cold because that was the only day they closed school! :rotflmao

12. KZF250

KZF250 Full Access Member

Worked outside in construction year around in Denver Metro for about 20 years. Weather can take some big swings day to day...70 degrees in January one day and a blizzard the next. Could only do rain for a short period of time due to power tools but 15-20 degrees with snow was not unusual and those of us with families understood that kids get hungry and bills have to be paid no matter the temp.

13. FORDF250HDXLT

FORDF250HDXLT The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air Supporting Member

although im a Mainer,i think i belong out with IDIoit in Cali cus we like the same temps lol.what's so nice about the heat out west of course is,low humidity unlike here,where it's super sticky compared.80F out there and i was kinda cool!:D
    i loath the cold.when it drops below 40F id rather be somewhere else.hence,the Oklahoma winter bird.oh so much nicer out there in winter.
    i don't mind some weather but god damnit,the overcast days for months on end,get depressing.i can take the cold but i need to dress accordingly to take it.
    this year,i'll be a month on the road tent camping across the northern states but i'm well prepared.i'll be dressed for -20 below and feel like im inside. iv got the full fleece ski mask and goggles to boot.ain't no wind gunna bother me.:D
    i might not be able to hardly move in all the layers......but i'll be warm dammit lmao.

14. hce

hce So can i.... Supporting Member

randy-snow-suit-a-christmas-story-2-383x600-600x600.jpg

15. chris142

chris142 Full Access Member

Its currently 45F with 45 mph wind. ITS TOO COLD FOR ME!