How bad will gas hurt a 6.0?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
My girlfriend accidentally put 9.5 gallons of gas in her '05 this evening. It already had just under half a tank(26 Gallon tank), when she did it. After realizing her mistake, she moved it about 100 feet.

I know gasoline won't harm my 93 too badly, but I'm unsure about hers.

Would it hurt anything, for her to just top it off with straight diesel and run it?? Should I pump it out?

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
someone told me once..
"put about a gallon of 10W30 motor oil in it, & it'll be fine"
guy did the same thing to a rental Dodge...

so I'd do like you thought.. top it off with diesel, and put about a gallon of TCW3 two stroke oil in it (ashless) and have at it.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Fill er up with diesel and enjoy - todays diesel is so dry that I doubt the truck will care much. Wouldn't hurt to throw some lube at her. but if she was mine I would just fill er up and enjoy...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That's probably not far off 30% which is considered acceptable for winter mixing for most diesels in severe cold, so I'd have to agree with the top it off and add some oil

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep wife did the same thing to our 04' she was in a hurry and the diesel pump didnt have a green handle so she didn't realize til it had about 7 gallons in it. She topped it off with diesel and added two quarts of two stroke motor oil to it i keep a few behind the back seat. That was 12k ago.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna go aginst everyone on this and say DO NOT RUN IT. The 6.0 is VERY picky about the fuel quality through these EXPENCIVE injectors. My brother was helping repair a salesman's truck at work that had gas put in it, replaced the injectors and it ran for a while then toasted all the new injectors, then they realized that there was gas in it so the injectors were replaced again and fuel drained. Last I heard it was at the diesel shop for a running bad problem again.
For the little bit of time its gonna be to pump the tank out I'd do it just to be safe.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
for the amount of effort to pump it out and run it in your truck vs new injectors seems like a good trade off, Although it should be fine if you add some lube Id be too nervous.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
I'm gonna go aginst everyone on this and say DO NOT RUN IT. The 6.0 is VERY picky about the fuel quality through these EXPENCIVE injectors. My brother was helping repair a salesman's truck at work that had gas put in it, replaced the injectors and it ran for a while then toasted all the new injectors, then they realized that there was gas in it so the injectors were replaced again and fuel drained. Last I heard it was at the diesel shop for a running bad problem again.
For the little bit of time its gonna be to pump the tank out I'd do it just to be safe.

I agree. pumping the fuel out rather then replacing injectors is much more cost freindly in my mind. My stepdad accidentally put a half tank of RUG in his 01 PSD and had it towed home and we drained it out just to be safe

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
If I go the route of pumping it out, is there a way to make the truck's lift pump do the work?

I can always put it in my 93's "Garbage" tank, as Mel puts it... The WMO mix I have in the bed tank now, is too thick anyway...

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
does that truck have an electric pump? If so you may be able to disconnect say before the filter and go to a jug and just cycle the key. I dont know about the 6.0 but on alot of gassers and FI outboards cycling the key turns the pump on for a few seconds.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lift pump is on the frame under the drivers door. I dont know if ford put a pressure port down there or not. When I worked at Asturn we would unhook a fuel line back by the tank and run it into a gas can then jump the relay to turn the pump on. Took a while but worked.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
It does have an electric pump. It is in the HFCM under the drivers side door, inside the frame rail, next to the transfer case. It has the "quick release" fittings that you have to have the AC/Fuel Line Disconnect tool to open. I dont know if I would go that route to pump the fuel out, because at this point you are passing the fuel through the Filter / Water Seperator, the Fuel Heater (If equiped) and the pump. I would agree with not running the fuel, even heavily treated. I would put a hose down the fill neck and remove it that way, and then fill the tank completely with fresh fuel and the fuel treatments. I would not add the Outboard Oil in a 6.0 due to the EGR and Cat. These soot up enought with just #2 let alone with any other additive that would add to the soot production. I know the 6.0 injectors are sensitive to fuel quality and I would not risk $2000 worth of injectors to save a little hastle, that is just my opinion. I do run Power Service (Summer - Silver, Winter - White) and fuel from a busy station. FWIW.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I went ahead and pumped the fuel out of the tank last evening. I pumped it directly into the tank in the bed of my truck, using a drill mounted pump. :eek: I also replaced the upper fuel filter in it, before running out of daylight. This morning, we took three diesel cans to Flying J and filled them up. I drained the lift pump and replaced the lower fuel filter also.

Once I got the fuel in the truck, I put some of the smokeless two-cycle oil in the tank. Fired up the truck and it ran great.... For about 20 seconds....

It took another 15 minutes, to get the fresh diesel up to the injectors. I REALLY wish I could have cracked the injector lines, as easily as I can on MY truck!

Anyway, she finally fired up and ran pretty good. We immediately took it to Flying J and filled it to the filler neck top. Drove it around for a while and had NO problems!

A big thanks to everyone, for all the suggestions and help! ;Sweet