history lesson

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I have read the history of the IDI and the Ford - IH relationship and there was a timeline that went with it for changes to the platform. I cannot find that anymore (maybe looking too hard?). I am trying to find out when the 6.9 engines went from pressed in piston oil jets to bolt in ones. They were pressed in 1985, bolted in 1987 (until they changed to 7.3), but I do not know which 1986 had. Looking to pick up an engine, possibly, if the answer is as desired. Any help?

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
Thank you! That does not answer my question but it is the article I was looking for.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'86 did have bolt in piston cooling jets. I've had my '86 apart a few times and they are bolt in.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Always like reading the history changes to our idi engines over the years.

OkieTXHick

Reaction score
I have yet to tear one apart. But I am thinking about acquiring one out of a field for the fun of it! Haha. Has a "lovely" e4od in it. Bad of course. Could get it cheap I think.

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
I have yet to tear one apart. But I am thinking about acquiring one out of a field for the fun of it! Haha. Has a "lovely" e4od in it. Bad of course. Could get it cheap I think.

The only time you need to be concerned about the cooling jets is if you are going to bore out the cylinders. It also helps to take them out and clean them if you have the engine apart anyway. The bolt in design helps a lot. Rotunda no longer has any tools or the aiming templates for the early design, I had to make my own.

OkieTXHick

Reaction score
Thanks. Will definitely keep that in mind. I know it ran when parked due to like the third tranny in a short period of time so he bought a new one.
May just need a little TLC and good to go. Haha.