Hey guys ! I have a question regarding cooling

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a '97 6.5l with the dual thermostat housing. It is cracked but I want to switch to the single stat setup anyway.
Are the 6.2l and 6.5l single thermostat housings the same , in terms of coolant flow ? I know they will both mount up , but I think I read somewhere that one is a bypass and the other a non bypass setup. Which do I want ?
I have a good 6.2l single stat housing, wondering if I can use it. If not , I know of a single stat 6.5 from a 1988 but I need to act on it fast if I need it, it is being scrapped TODAY.

Thanks guys !

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Good question. I always thought the double set-up was more for even heating of the heads, not necessarily to increase any flow one way or the other.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah, may have been tanman_2006 was saying the dual setup wasn't really needed. Been awhile back though, may not have even been him that said it.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've read the best combination for cooling is the 6.5l single thermostat with a high flow pump, so I went ahead and grabbed it.

Also , I'm trying to determine what block I have.. I was told it was a 90's block but it looks like it might be an '01 ?

It is a 506 casting with date code E101. May 10th 2001 ??

Does anyone have any information about this block ?

Thanks guys !

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also , during the transition period before amg completely took over the last of the gm's were also cast by navistar. So it sounds like I have a good block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online