Here I sit all broken hearted ...

Ferdy Mint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We spent about 6 months locating a suitable donor truck to replace the motor and tranny in our 89 F250 7.3 with a C6. It has coolant in the combustion chamber, probably offset core and PO didn't use ELC or additive. We found a 93 F350 with 200k on it and a ZF5. It had not run in 18 years, after the PO died. The motor turned over with a wrench so we bought it and pulled it onto our car hauler. Also got a cool flatbed. So it was a good deal for $900. We used a lot of parts so far. Even the cab will get cut up to replace the right side of a 97 F350 that my son wiped against a tree, doh.

We ran the motor for about 2 minutes - no coolant - before starting to swap it over, it sounded OK. It fired up after pulling the truck for about 100 feet.

After getting the tranny rebuilt and installing it and motor in the 89, we now have a ZF5, 3G alternator and serpentine belt. Woo hoo. I sold the C6 for $700. But it also has a tap once she's warmed up. It's not a rod knock because it's only there on accell and idle. On overrun you don't hear it like a rod knock would. It sounds like it could be piston slap or crack, but she's not smoking and power is good. There's no skip but idle is slightly rough. Hard to tell, all our IDIs are a little rough at idle.

Question for the forum is can a bad injector cause a tap that would fool an old gasser guy like me into thinking it's mechanical? I'm planning to swap in some rebuilt injectors from Classic Diesel or Accurate Diesel.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Well, I know I've been fooled a few times with a bad injector knock. What you can do is loosen each injector line one at a time while idling, and each time you loosen a line should cause the motor to big down a bit. If it doesn't on one or more of the injectors, that will tell you they are bad, and need replaced/rebuilt. It's the same principal as testing those nasty spark plugs in gassers.

Rock

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had injectors sound exactly like a rod knock occasionally, specifically if they are constantly dripping fuel. I've also had them sound like spark knock or ping on a gas engine. If your engine sat 18 years I'd say injectors would be a safe bet, every idi I have ever owned has come from a junkyard or otherwise been left for dead and I've had to replace injectors in probably half of them and the other half were remedied by the atf in the fuel filter trick and a double overdose of dieselkleen in one fuel tank! Hope this helps!

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Kerosene will do you good as well. I usually mix kerosene with atf or 2 stroke oil to clean and lube. Works great for me.

Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
By the way, forget buying injectors from Accurate Diesel. I believe that they are in the Hall of Shame. Even if they're not, they're not one of the four highly recommended placed to buy quality pumps and injectors.

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way, forget buying injectors from Accurate Diesel. I believe that they are in the Hall of Shame. Even if they're not, they're not one of the four highly recommended placed to buy quality pumps and injectors.
I've bought injectors from accurate several times and even their house remans are really good, however they don't ever seem to want to credit your cores. It seems like they want your "cores" to be in ready to resell condition, it's never all of them but you'd think they'd expect to receive worn out injectors. I've only ever pulled injectors from running engines it's not like I send them rusty junk that was laying around somewhere. I've bought their new stanadyne injectors as well but now rockauto sells the same injectors rebranded as "new" Delphi injectors for about 20% less. Sorry to kinda go on a rant, their parts are of good quality

Ferdy Mint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tim at Accurate Diesel has helped me out even on a Sunday afternoon before when I had trouble installing. I'm giving him first shot at my IDI business. His injector lines are a smokin' deal if you ask me. Been working fine for 4 years in our 6.9.

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jc whitney needs an idi page toooooo

Who is Tim?

Ferdy Mint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tim is the guy who always answers the phone when I call Accurate Diesel. I think he's the owner.

JC Whitney was one of a kind. I bought a lot of their stuff back in the day.

OlKoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure your problem is injectors, id pull them, take each one apart, clean them, and install new copper washers on the bottom ends using a dab of grease before dropping them back in. Use some stanodyne fuel conditioner and run it for a while again. Reset the timing, just enough to eliminate any knock, and check again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VWAudiFord

Members online