Helpful stuck without a band wrench trick

papadiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.... went to a place to change filters, bypass lines, etc. Have a fancy band filter wrench for my fuel filter, but left in storage. Could buy a new one, but stuck where I am at! Brainstorm.... would and old bunge (black flat rubber) the kind you find on the road because they dont work, work? I dried off the filter, ran it around up high and after two or three tries, wha la, it loosened it without damage to anything! Might save someone if you have to remove the filter without damage! Just dont let go of the hooks or it might damage you! Hope it helps someone!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Well.... went to a place to change filters, bypass lines, etc. Have a fancy band filter wrench for my fuel filter, but left in storage. Could buy a new one, but stuck where I am at! Brainstorm.... would and old bunge (black flat rubber) the kind you find on the road because they dont work, work? I dried off the filter, ran it around up high and after two or three tries, wha la, it loosened it without damage to anything! Might save someone if you have to remove the filter without damage! Just dont let go of the hooks or it might damage you! Hope it helps someone!

Basically a DIY rubber strap wrench.

papadiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep if you want to run the filter this is for those times where you want to get it apart and reuse it if you’re on the road

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I just use an actual strap wrench, but then again all my tools are always with me.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good thinking, I never used a wrench but those nitrile gloves would give me the tack I needed to get them off. Similar concept. I used the screwdriver trick on some oil filters once I learned about it here on OBN, one of my favorite tips!