''help''93 IDI pump gear and housing removal and install

trever77

Reaction score
well this newbie decided to take the injection pump off on my 93 IDI 7.3 cookoo and it would not come out with all the lines attached so i did the stupid move :backoff and loosened the injection pump drive gear cover and the gear moved so i took it all the way off so i need some help putting it back together i don't know how to time the gears properly does any one know how i need your help

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well... You are stuck in the big muddy now but plenty of help here just for the asking... First off welcome to the forum. Your problems comes up often enough here so there is plenty of information available. About the easyest way to time the gears is to remove the injection pump gear from the housing. The pump has three nuts that holds the pump to the aluminum housing... Then there is three small bolts behind the thin metal front cover. Those bolts require a special 12 point 5/16 socket and the torque on those is 25 lbs.... They are made of hardened steel so don't try to use any other bolts.... Nappa sells these bolts in their u joint repair kits... These are the same bolts.... Now you need to have the timing set to top dead center on number one cylinder... That cylinder is the front cylinder on the passenger side of the engine. Look down at the crank dampner and move it till the lines match up. Clean off the tab so you can see the imprinted line in the tab. Now you have to look down in the front cover and try to see the cam gear timing mark... You looking for the "Y" mark.... It looks just like the one on the injection pump gear. There isn't much space to get down in there to see the marks but it can be done with a small mirror and flashlite. Once you have this gear lined up install the aluminum gear cover and use plenty of rtv or you will have an oil leak.... Its best to have the surface really clean too. Most here will use brake clean because it cleans so well and wont leave a film when it drys. The aluminum cover has a alignment tab in the middle so make sure you fit the cover properly to that. Now if you can't see the "Y" on the cam gear when the crank is on the dampner timing marks you need to turn the engine one more complete turn. You must be able to see the "Y" timing mark on the cam gear. I have some pictures that may help you "see" what all this looks like.... Asking questions here is the way to procede if you feel your doing something wrong.... We don't think anyone is stupid for doing things or asking questions....

Attachments

• DSC00024.JPG
    DSC00024.JPG
    577.9 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC00239.jpg
    DSC00239.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 29

kojak94

Reaction score
R/R IDI INJ PUMP / DRIVE GEAR

Hi i replaced my inj pump on my 91 idi 7.3. is it posible for the drive gear to slip a tooth on the cam gear is there room inside the pump mount housing thanks

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i have my engine out of my truck its a 7.3 a 92 model. i have the intake and injection pump everything is removed but crank pistons water pump and so forth. i took the bolts out of the housing for the pump timing gear and it seemed like it didnt want to come off. it even lifted up about quarter of an inch but seemed like something was holding it back. have any idea what it might be???

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Typical first post.... :rolleyes:

If wishes were horses, begars would ride.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
ok i have my engine out of my truck its a 7.3 a 92 model. i have the intake and injection pump everything is removed but crank pistons water pump and so forth. i took the bolts out of the housing for the pump timing gear and it seemed like it didnt want to come off. it even lifted up about quarter of an inch but seemed like something was holding it back. have any idea what it might be???

If you took all 4 bolts out, then it's just the sealant holding it down. There's a groove in the housing, so there's more holding effect. Just keep pulling.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Kojak.... If you did not remove the gear housing, thats the aluminum gear cover then no... You can't slip a tooth on the cam gear to injection pump gear. Not enough clearance in the housing for the gear to climb up on the teeth and skip a tooth. Why do you think you skipped a tooth...:dunno

kojak94

Reaction score
Kojak.... If you did not remove the gear housing, thats the aluminum gear cover then no... You can't slip a tooth on the cam gear to injection pump gear. Not enough clearance in the housing for the gear to climb up on the teeth and skip a tooth. Why do you think you skipped a tooth...:dunno

hey thanks thats good to hear i got bad mis and a lot of rich fuel smoke its really bad a cold start up think the pump i put on may have a problem cracked feul lines smoke stops when you crack off #7 put new inj in #7 problem stayed same also ran a comp. test they were all good checked transfer pump pres at idle and wide open it held good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online