Help!!!!!

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the transmission filter and some Lucas transmission repair from the local auto arts store but they told me I need to get the the transmission fluid from a VW dealership. I called one up and they told me it was $25 a qt. At 5 qts that adds up so it will have to wait a few weeks until I have the funds. I’ll try to look online and see if I can find anything cheaper.

I wonder if there is any thing that meets the same standards I know VW's are picky but there has to be something close

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my research and in my opinion I feel it will work just fine VW calls for a full synthetic atf and that is a full synthetic atf

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We tried this morning to get the car up on stands but the ground was too wet so we decided to take it the back road to the auto parts store and burned the clutch out at the intersection in town with a line of cars behind us. I got it towed home and when I can afford it, I’ll look into getting the clutch replaced.

Jefff27

Reaction score
I had a 2011 tdi 6 speed with the same issue. It was not the transmission, but the alignment of the shifter that was preventing me from getting into gear. 1st and reverse was my issue if I remember correctly. There is a procedure to align the shifter that made mine shift flawlessly after and never a problem again.

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was that an automatic transmission? Because 1st and reverse were having the hardest time getting into gear although they were all having issues. My brother is a mechanic at Subaru and he was thinking it was either the clutch, the shifter, or both.

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If realigning the shifter gets it in gear, I may be able to just use some Lucas for now if there is any clutch left until a new clutch can be fit in the budget!

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your linkage is miss alignes you should be able to pull past drive a little like in between gears and see if that helps that would let you know it's out of adjustment and not something else

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some research and on vw vortex the linkage can be adjusted by having the car in park and adjusting the shift arm on the trans they said it takes a 8 mm

corrado9184

Reaction score
If you own a VW automatic between 1995 and 2010 with 100000+ miles, RUN RUN AWAY !!! its a ticking time bomb! Nobody serviced them properly and they have lots of problems.These transmissions are junk, you might as well convert it to a standard. Volkswagen doesn't have an Automatic i would touch until about 2010. Or the 2004 Touareg automatic and it was built by Aisin not VW.

These transmissions are common to fail due to old dirty fluid or low fluid, the next failure point is the electric solenoids that control the shift, they gum up and get stuck or just fail. the next common failure is the valve body, it tends to warp and if that isn't enough, the harnesses were also know to fail that controls the solenoids. Plus your standard clutch wear that comes with high mileage..... But you can buy a new one from VW for about $6800. Most repair bills i see are $3500 to $5200 to repair these... If they are in the bugs an internal hard part not included in a clutch kit usually fails and vw charges a premium for it, is so you end up at least $5000 for a proper rebuild.

I love my VW's and i will never recommend a high mileage automatic on those years and i currently own 18 Volkswagen's.

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up selling it and getter her a Civic. 2 weeks later, the trans went out in it lol! Now I’m fixing up a Buick for her!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online