Help with 6.6 Duramax.....

Wingman1

Reaction score
My dad just bought a 3/4 ton 2500 with a 6.6 Duramax and a 6 speed Allison tranny. He wants to buy a programmer and would like to know which one is the best. He will mostly tow a 30' travel trailor with it. He was wondering about a programmer called the "Workhorse."
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Neither one of us know anything about them. Nice forum by the way. Thanks;Sweet

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Never heard of a Workhorse programmer. First thigns first though, if he's going to be adding power, he needs to upgrade the exhaust first. These trucks build up a lot of heat with the programmers and power adders so keeping that in check is crucial. He needs boost and exhaust temp gauges to keep track of how hard the engine is working and a 4" exhaust to get the hot exhaust gases away. Don't worry about stainless exhaust. It's not needed down south.

To bump performance, I had an Edge Evolution programmer fro my Powrstroke and liked it. I had the Edge Juice for my '01 Duramax I used to have and was very impressed by what it did. That would be my suggestion.

Wingman1

Reaction score
Thanks for the fast response. I did not know that the exhaust needed upgrading. I will tell him about the exhaust, boost and fuel temp guages and the Edge Juice programmer. I read alot about it and it seems to be what he is looking for. Thanks for the great info. It is really nice to know there are people out there who are willing to help ;p .

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast response. I did not know that the exhaust needed upgrading. I will tell him about the exhaust, boost and fuel temp guages and the Edge Juice programmer. I read alot about it and it seems to be what he is looking for. Thanks for the great info. It is really nice to know there are people out there who are willing to help ;p .

I agree with Rebel H. Keep in mind the Edge programmer and exhaust can unlock a lot of power in the Dmax. If he does not keep it in check, he can shorten the lifespan of that Ally transmission in stock form. Especially with the added load of towing. I'm not saying don't do it, just pay attention and use good judgement when applying the right foot.:D

Tom

macs

macs
Reaction score
My dad just bought a 3/4 ton 2500 with a 6.6 Duramax and a 6 speed Allison tranny. He wants to buy a programmer and would like to know which one is the best. He will mostly tow a 30' travel trailor with it. He was wondering about a programmer called the "Workhorse."
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Neither one of us know anything about them. Nice forum by the way. Thanks;Sweet

I used the Bullydog programmer on my 06 2500 6.6 LBZ for the MPG boost and now it thinks it's a sports car. Got a 3 MPG increase too!