help possible head gasket

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i started the truck today and it belched what appeared to be really wattery coolant out the tailpipe
it was green like coolant but did not smell of coolant or taste of it.
so either food coloring or very little coolant.

now heres the issue
truck is mostly coolant in the block and has not been warmed up to temp in a while.
almost a gallon of "coolant" came out within a few seconds of running while the rad levels did not move.
the truck is not missing or anything sounds fine i even reved it once all was sounding fine.
pulled the oil cap and no goop from a headgasket issue.
so no oil in coolant or coolant in oil as far as i can tell.

now ive narrowed a few things down the liquid was in the y pipe as when i first started it it belched out.
the truck is sitting down hill so as water flows down hill that would make sense.
im thinking something leaked out of the bed and happened to go into the tail pipe or someone tried to fool me.

whats yalls opinion here i need some help please

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Could just be condensation. If the engine has not warmed up sufficiently, water vapor will collect in the exhaust pipes and muffler. If you have no crossover in the radiator or on the dipstick, I wouldn't worry. Just park the thing with the nose pointing uphill.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what i was thinking but the near a gallon had me going ill throw the new exhaust back on in a few days when i get the adaptors till then tomorrow ill problly start it and beat it and see how it goes but it must stay parked down hill for now as thats the only place i can run the battery charger to with the extension cord i have but once that is fixed (think i fixed it well know tomorrow) itll turn around. plus last time i ran her it was for 15 min at idle with occasional reving to keep oil pressure. and last time i added coolant was months ago and since then ive ran it a few times with no loss of coolant.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got about 3k of parts to add on right now and finally am getting around to finishing it so i dont want any issues any ways to check for sure short of dropping the y pipe?

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well felt like water like i said wasnt like coolant at all but was green maybe water that sat in there and had alge? it had too much water to come from the block

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time to drop the Y pipe or up pipes, the next time you think this might happen. See which bank it is coming out of. This is not condensation. Is your coolant level dropping? A few things to consider. If it is the big C, then you may have coolant in your oil. Get a Blackstone report ASAP. If it is cavitation, and the leak is above your piston, you may be playing russian roulet. There is no guarantee your piston is going to be on the power or exhaust stroke next time. Catch it on intake/compression, and you can kiss your rod goodbye. Could also be a cracked head. Better than the big C, but just as inconvienent.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what i dont get about it almost a gallon on the ground and coolant level is full has not hydrolocked at all. i assumed coolant but i think it coulda been something else my exhaust does end just under the bed and theres holes in that area.

the scas were keept up with till the rad went on me after that it was started for a few min to charge the batt or move it that was it could cavitaation set in that quick?

witht he amount in such sort a time im douting cavitation as the piston would of needed to be on the bottom of the stroke and full which would have some in oil.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok well i still aint sure what the issue is but i realized this one
i turned it over no furl a few times to see if the batt was good ( no hydrolock)
theres no typical signs
it seemed to run fine
and after that first start the liquid went away
so i think im going to try and start her again and see what happens before i tear it down.
if it goes boom it goes boom then new motor will need to happen.
but logically this makes no sense like every other issue this thing has ever had so im thinking its something not normal

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Seems odd coolant would go all the way threw the motor and exhaust system and still be green i would think it would be black because of soot

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya fairly similar to my thoughts it had no soot in it or anything it was really odd and it was mostly water and the only straight water in the system is in the rad right now

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cavitation does not happen in a few minutes of running, it takes many miles without SCA's. Correction- the cavitation is happening anytime you run without SCA, but it takes time to create a hole in the cylinder wall. What I would like to know is if there are any cylinders that are more prone to getting the worm hole? Thinner castings from anyone's experience?

Thanks,
Archie