Help on refilling coolant

Cskaggs2

Reaction score
I drained block and radiator. I refilled with distilled for a flush. It took about 6 gallons. Ran it up to temp and then drained again. On 2nd refill/flush, I was only able to get 3 gallons before radiator started overflowing through upper hose entry point. I had drained block and radiator again.
Is it safe to start and let heat up? I have this worry that my block has no or little water in it. First time I have ever done this work. I did install pet ***** for the block drain plugs.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the return hose from the core to the top of the water pump and burp it out there.
I took a old rad cap and fashioned a garden hose fitting on it to power flush it.
Dont close the system without a drain open or you may cause issues with to much psi in the system...

Cskaggs2

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I think my error was trying to first fill through top into water pump. This backed up as I guess bypass path is narrow. I then switched to radiator. This trapped air in the block. I waited till the next day and the top hose had emptied. This let me finish filling through the radiator.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the bypass port on the right, when cold, this is the air bleed and the bypass port is nickle sized
You must be registered for see images attach