Help! Mess of problems.

SethB

Reaction score
I am no mechanic but am mechanicaly inclined.

anyway, 1989 F-350, 7.3 IDI
Torque converter locks and unlocks randomly
blows black smoke like a freight train (terrible fuel mileage)
and I think I am forgetting something here. I Will edit later

It has low compression, The engine is tired, due to previous owners overloading and abusing.

Does anyone have any advise for me? Are these issues related?
My end goal is to fix the torque converter locking problem, and limit the smoke a little. It will just be a daily beater, but this is pretty bad.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, if you can afford to replace the IP and injectors, you'll make a huge difference in power and smoke.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seth, the torque converter acting like that can be caused by an issue in your brake light circuit. Make sure all lights are working including the third brake light. Led lights are known to cause this issue.

For the smoke, make sure your air filter is clean and unrestricted. Most likely the pump has been turned up a bunch, so you can try turning the fuel down with the fuel screw, but it won’t fix a worn out engine.

SethB

Reaction score
Seth, the torque converter acting like that can be caused by an issue in your brake light circuit. Make sure all lights are working including the third brake light. Led lights are known to cause this issue.

For the smoke, make sure your air filter is clean and unrestricted. Most likely the pump has been turned up a bunch, so you can try turning the fuel down with the fuel screw, but it won’t fix a worn out engine.

Thanks for the input, I will go though and test the lights, and replace the filter for starts.
Thanks!

SethB

Reaction score
replaced the air filter, it wasn't that bad but made a huge difference in performance. The smoke is still the same, but i have gained power. next is the locking and unlocking issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online