Help deciding on which turbo and gears to run

c_silva88

Reaction score
So I have a 93 f350 extra cab 2wd I’m in process of putting a 5 speed and goii INo from 2wd to 4wd up front and I have a factory turbo set up and a ats 088 and not sure which one would be better set up. I’m gonna be running 33s a zf5 and have both 4.10s and 3.55s still gotta decide on which I want to run. it’s my daily driver and I tow a 5th wheel horse trailer on the weekends some times up to 400 miles one way on the highway

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO factory turbo and 4.10's.

Now's the perfect time to have Wes or Russ work their magic on your turbo.
Agreed! I recently added 33's and swaped my rig to 3.55's from 4.10. If I were to do it again I would probably save up for a gear vendor unit for the highway gear. Everything else is better with 4.10 and 33's.
That said, I got a surprise Detroit locker in the 3.55 rear end when I bought it and THAT made a huge difference in fun factor and traction. I'd go with a true track if I was buying but free is free!

OEM turbo almost always beats the 088. 088 is just too big on the hotside and doesn't spool until high up in the RPMs from what I understand. Unless you know the turbo is still good, now is a great time for a rebuild and wicked wheel or other upgrades. Charge air cooling is awesome, so much more torque and power from the stock setup.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
4.10 for hauling.

That's what we had at the boat yard for hauling everything for a few years - 94 F350 4x4 IDIT 5spd 4.10

Last edited:

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just swapped my 93 factory turbo ZF-5 truck from 3.55's to 4.10's. Wish I'd of done it years ago. Made a night and day difference in how the truck pulls. I need to swap me other truck now too.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'd agree with the 4.10 suggestion too. My current truck has 235/85R16s, 3.55 gears and a ZF5. It's a great highway cruiser. It will pull lighter loads just fine. The next truck I have will be more of a dedicated tow rig. It will have 4.10s for sure.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd agree with the 4.10 suggestion too. My current truck has 235/85R16s, 3.55 gears and a ZF5. It's a great highway cruiser. It will pull lighter loads just fine. The next truck I have will be more of a dedicated tow rig. It will have 4.10s for sure.

Me as well.

My Dually has 4.10s and no turbo. My 250 has 3.55 with a turbo. Quite a noticable difference at low RPM, Especially from a stop. Even though the 250 has a turbo, I'd still choose the Dually with 4.10 gears. I'm sure it will be no contest when I finally turbo the Dually.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Me as well.

My Dually has 4.10s and no turbo. My 250 has 3.55 with a turbo. Quite a noticable difference at low RPM, Especially from a stop. Even though the 250 has a turbo, I'd still choose the Dually with 4.10 gears. I'm sure it will be no contest when I finally turbo the Dually.

Try NA with 3.55 like my F250 is. OMG I almost couldn't move when taking off from stops on steep hills with that 27ft travel trailer hitched up. Or so it felt like anyway. Any wonder I ditched the trailer as fast as I did, and went back to the truck camper, at least until I got the motorhome?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try NA with 3.55 like my F250 is. OMG I almost couldn't move when taking off from stops on steep hills with that 27ft travel trailer hitched up. Or so it felt like anyway. Any wonder I ditched the trailer as fast as I did, and went back to the truck camper, at least until I got the motorhome?

Oh yeah, I've hauled enough with my dually NA to know the feeling!

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey it was literally dangerous for me. I had our bumper pull toy hauler behind me and I tried to take off in high range, first gear, with 3.55’s and 35’s I almost stalled. I dropped it into low range. If I would’ve stalled I definitely Wouldn’t have been able to stop the truck from rolling backwards with no brake assist!

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey it was literally dangerous for me. I had our bumper pull toy hauler behind me and I tried to take off in high range, first gear, with 3.55’s and 35’s I almost stalled. I dropped it into low range. If I would’ve stalled I definitely Wouldn’t have been able to stop the truck from rolling backwards with no brake assist!
Admittedly I probably should’ve taken that into consideration but still really scared me lol