1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help deciding on which turbo and gears to run

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by c_silva88, Sep 12, 2020.

1. c_silva88

c_silva88 Registered User

So I have a 93 f350 extra cab 2wd I’m in process of putting a 5 speed and goii INo from 2wd to 4wd up front and I have a factory turbo set up and a ats 088 and not sure which one would be better set up. I’m gonna be running 33s a zf5 and have both 4.10s and 3.55s still gotta decide on which I want to run. it’s my daily driver and I tow a 5th wheel horse trailer on the weekends some times up to 400 miles one way on the highway

2. sjwelds

sjwelds Full Access Member

IMO factory turbo and 4.10's.

Now's the perfect time to have Wes or Russ work their magic on your turbo.

Dane Rickford, junk, Laine D and 2 others like this.
  3. The_Josh_Bear

The_Josh_Bear Full Access Member

Agreed! I recently added 33's and swaped my rig to 3.55's from 4.10. If I were to do it again I would probably save up for a gear vendor unit for the highway gear. Everything else is better with 4.10 and 33's.
    That said, I got a surprise Detroit locker in the 3.55 rear end when I bought it and THAT made a huge difference in fun factor and traction. I'd go with a true track if I was buying but free is free!

OEM turbo almost always beats the 088. 088 is just too big on the hotside and doesn't spool until high up in the RPMs from what I understand. Unless you know the turbo is still good, now is a great time for a rebuild and wicked wheel or other upgrades. Charge air cooling is awesome, so much more torque and power from the stock setup.

4. Laine D

Laine D Full Access Member

I would sell my soul for 4.10’s. I have 35 inch tires with 3.55’s and a zf and it’s way too high.

Dane Rickford likes this.
  5. u2slow

u2slow bilge rat

4.10 for hauling.

That's what we had at the boat yard for hauling everything for a few years - 94 F350 4x4 IDIT 5spd 4.10

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  6. junk

junk Full Access Member

Just swapped my 93 factory turbo ZF-5 truck from 3.55's to 4.10's. Wish I'd of done it years ago. Made a night and day difference in how the truck pulls. I need to swap me other truck now too.

7. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

I'd agree with the 4.10 suggestion too. My current truck has 235/85R16s, 3.55 gears and a ZF5. It's a great highway cruiser. It will pull lighter loads just fine. The next truck I have will be more of a dedicated tow rig. It will have 4.10s for sure.

Scotty4 likes this.
  8. chillman88

chillman88 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Me as well.

My Dually has 4.10s and no turbo. My 250 has 3.55 with a turbo. Quite a noticable difference at low RPM, Especially from a stop. Even though the 250 has a turbo, I'd still choose the Dually with 4.10 gears. I'm sure it will be no contest when I finally turbo the Dually.

Scotty4 likes this.
  9. Cubey

Cubey Full timer RVer

Try NA with 3.55 like my F250 is. OMG I almost couldn't move when taking off from stops on steep hills with that 27ft travel trailer hitched up. Or so it felt like anyway. Any wonder I ditched the trailer as fast as I did, and went back to the truck camper, at least until I got the motorhome?

Scotty4 and chillman88 like this.
  10. chillman88

chillman88 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oh yeah, I've hauled enough with my dually NA to know the feeling!

Cubey and Scotty4 like this.
  11. Laine D

Hey it was literally dangerous for me. I had our bumper pull toy hauler behind me and I tried to take off in high range, first gear, with 3.55’s and 35’s I almost stalled. I dropped it into low range. If I would’ve stalled I definitely Wouldn’t have been able to stop the truck from rolling backwards with no brake assist!

Dane Rickford and chillman88 like this.
  12. Laine D

Admittedly I probably should’ve taken that into consideration but still really scared me lol

Dane Rickford, Scotty4 and chillman88 like this.