Help! Broke down in Jacksonville Fl. need a water pump and some one to install it

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Gang!
We caught some bad luck! My Wife and I are on the road north pulling our 30ft RV with our '90 7.3 idi F-250. We arrived in Jax at a friend's house and started smelling coolant. Leaking a stream out the bottom near where the pump housing mates to the block. We're o.k. in that we are at a friend's house so we have a place to stay with out hemorrhaging money, so that's good. The problem is that we have a business commitment in NY on Thursday. I'm a pretty fair mechanic, but the tools are packed up pretty tight and mostly we're falling behind schedule for the upcoming business in NY. Can anyone help? Recommend a shop nearby? We'd be happy to pay someone or a shop who could be trusted with the job. I'm reading the water pump threads right now...

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Its not too bad of a job. Just watch the top two bolts on it. - some variation can extend into the timing gears and cause some hate and discontent. New water pump is less than $50 i believe

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um... Not sure about the shop or anyone who could help, but replacing the water pump isn't a huge job. It's a greasy pain, but not too hard - a day job if you have a few tools.

Basically, it's a matter of removing:
1. The fan.
2. Belts.
3. The shroud, for clearance. I tend to just cut mine, and take if off in two pieces if needed.
4. Any brackets that bolt to the water pump(with a 90, you should have a v-belt system; PS and AC brackets need to be removed)
5. Remove the water pump pulley bolts.
6. Pry off water pump, making sure you have a catch bucket.
7. Clean up gasket surface
8. Install new pump. See directions in the water pump box - there are issues with the two middle top and bottom bolts being a different length on stock pumps, but newer castings remove that requirement. Now, they are the same length as most of the other bolts.

Reinstall everything you removed.

A $30 set of sockets from Harbor Freight will do the job nicely; perhaps get a set of wrenches and a gasket scraper too.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Shawn, thanks for the quick reply! About how long would you allow for the job? Reading the other water pump threads now, seems like the fan/clutch can be problematic...

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um... Not sure about the shop or anyone who could help, but replacing the water pump isn't a huge job. It's a greasy pain, but not too hard - a day job if you have a few tools.

1. The fan.
2. Belts.
3. The shroud, for clearance. I tend to just cut mine, and take if off in two pieces if needed.
4. Any brackets that bolt to the water pump(with a 90, you should have a v-belt system; PS and AC brackets need to be removed)
8. Install new pump. See directions in the water pump box - there are issues with the two middle top and bottom bolts being a different length on stock pumps, but newer castings remove that requirement. Now, they are the same length as most of the other bolts.

A $30 set of sockets from Harbor Freight will do the job nicely; perhaps get a set of wrenches and a gasket scraper too.

Thanks for the speedy reply! I've got my tools with me. Other than a new Motorcraft pump, any special tools needed? What's the best coolant?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1. The fan.
2. Belts.

/

Thanks for the speedy reply! I've got my tools with me. Other than a new Motorcraft pump, any special tools needed? What's the best coolant?

hexpheen

Reaction score
Best coolant is probably what the factory recommended which is Motorcraft gold, I believe, with SCAs.

People use all different types of coolant, including ELC like Zerex. Some here will recommend against that.

I think the best advice is to go with a low-silica concentrate, dilute 50/50 with distilled water, add SCAs...then test for proper SCA levels. I use NAPA green because it is low-silica, cheap, and widely available. I then add Motorcraft VC8 (2 pints).

-hex

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Hi Shawn, thanks for the quick reply! About how long would you allow for the job? Reading the other water pump threads now, seems like the fan/clutch can be problematic...
I would say 4 hrs for a first time bush fix would get it done.
To remove fan clutch - leav all belts on. Get a big cressant wrench on it and start hitting with a hammer. Ive always got em off. Sometimes itll take 20 minutes of whack a mole. But it does come free.
Dont cut fan schroud. Lol
Itll come off with fan clutch at the same time
I put just a little silicone on my gaskets when i did it. Like width of the lead in a number 2 pencil- no more, pry a little less wiuld be better. Let it sit a day - if time allows then fill up with coolant
Good luck!

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used Autozone water pumps in all my trucks; no failures yet!

Coolant wise, I believe in Zerex HD ELC. Napa carries it, P/N: ZXED1 - Usually about $20/gal for concentrate.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Happy to read your fixed and back on the road. Breakdowns are part of the trip. We can't replace everything before a trip but we try to be ready anyway.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
O.K., we're settled in for the night at a scenic Walmart parking lot in PA. Some day I'll post about our off grid RV: 960W of solar power, on board 12v 70gpd RO system and lots of other cool stuff. We live in it full-time... Let me take a moment to thank you again for your willingness to help! I'm glad that I wimped out and paid Brian for 3.5 hours labor. I would have been working in a sandy back yard with no provision for a car to run out if something didn't go as planned. It was also a day of torrential rains at my buddies house! I don't mind getting wet but all of my tools bags and anything else would have been absolutely soaked... Brian did a proper system flush, replaced the thermostat, cleaned the front of the engine bay and just generally did a superb job. I do wish I had more time to hang out here with you guys instead of just coming for information or when I need help with a problem...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx

Members online