help a friend

cumminstrk

Reaction score
I have a friend that is having a problem with his d max, i think it is a 2006. here is what he said it is doing
"Truck starts and idles fine and under normal driving the truck runs great.But when I am merging onto highway and need to kick it down(gas pedal to floor ) the truck feels like turbo quits or it goes into some kind of limp mode the truck loses power and if get of pedal it will idle fine but if you get back on throttle more then 1/2 throttle it will cut back out with no power) If i shut truck off and re start it is fine till i mash the pedal again. "He said it gets worse with the colder weather.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the codes scaned if they havn't already. These new trucks generally will tell you where they hurt. May save them a lot of time and money vs guessing and throwing parts at it hoping it fixes it.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Fuel filter is a good start. I change mine every other oil change. If that doesn't fix it...

Mine, also an '06, did something very similar at about 10K miles. Lasted for about a week before I got a CEL. Dealer read the code and it was a turbo position sensor (variable geometry turbo). Changed it and good as new. Service manger said they had seen 3 or 4 failures on new trucks. Hope that helps.

Tom