Help!!!! 6.9 won't start!!

Dirtydiesel21

Reaction score
So first post here new member, bought this truck about 2 months ago from a guy never maintained in my opinion oil leaks out the ***** typical 6.9 stuff so bought the truck and drove it home that night couldn't get it to start with key had to pop the clutch trucks an 86 f250 6.9 196,000 got it home put a new alternator, batteries battery cables ordered a loft kit before installing the lift kit I pulled the truck up on the concrete pad at home and let it run while I tried to wash and degrees as much as I could before pulling it in to tear the front end apart truck ran the whole time as I washed first ally pulled it in the shop and tore apart front end truck sat for a solid week, went to start it and nothing crank and crank and crank no start changed the oil changed the fuel filter tried again still no start pulled the Injectors cleaned installed new copper washers and injector kit still no start, bled system by cracking the lines, found intake bolts missing and intake was not sealed properly did find some water in the oil when I changed it, ordered new intake gasket and Injector pump, put new zd9 glow plugs in and installed the 7.3 controller and updated the glow plug system new batteries new starter upgraded 7.3 rocker arms new valve cover gaskets all while it was down, went to start today in an attempt and still nothing has plenty of fuel going to it all the Injectors have fuel not a puff of smoke out of the exhaust or even a hint of anything acts like it wants to start but don't I'm at the end of the rope with this thing last time this happened I ended finding a whole other motor and put in I have a feeling it has no compression left to her with the intake of while cranking I have tons of white like smoke that comes out while cranking at the solenoid, so my question at this point is there anything else I would be missing that would be causing this thing not to run this is my last resort to see if anybody has gone through this themselves thanks guys!!!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Are you absolutely sure that your glow plugs are working? I know that you replaced a lot of stuff, but did you check to see if you're getting power to the glow plugs?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
If you had water in your oil there might be a head gasket failure or oil cooler o ring leak. Neither is good. Maybe try ether.

If you put your model, year, mileage and other stuff on your profile, we can offer better advice.

Dirtydiesel21

Reaction score
I tried ether and no luck won't even pop off it tries to but will not start, yes I checked glow plugs and they are working, they did not work before at all when I got the truck so now they do I had replaced one head gasket as I had a glow plug that was broke in the head and had to find a head and replace head gasket seemed pretty decent that came off it, glow plugs for sure work but don't really need them down here in Florida with the 100 degree days truck still will not fire at all and I'm at a complete loss now on what direction to go in? Any other suggestions and thanks to those who have responded so far! It's much appreciated!

Dirtydiesel21

Reaction score
Yes water was from washing while it ran due to the missing bolts I did not know about, and there had been 4 or 5 other bolts that were not even tight!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I tried ether and no luck won't even pop off it tries to but will not start, yes I checked glow plugs and they are working, they did not work before at all when I got the truck so now they do I had replaced one head gasket as I had a glow plug that was broke in the head and had to find a head and replace head gasket seemed pretty decent that came off it, glow plugs for sure work but don't really need them down here in Florida with the 100 degree days truck still will not fire at all and I'm at a complete loss now on what direction to go in?
In this case, I'll go along with Catbird and suggest the compression test.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have fuel at injectors I'd check

Is starter spinning fast enough
Are glow plugs themselves functioning
Compression

They need so little to start which makes those few parts even more important

Some things I've overlooked is:

new starter and batteries but **** cable ends or bad grounds (loose and gunked up)

Starter "tested" fine on bench but didn't spin fast enough to start truck

And a customer truck had his fleet dude install all new glow plugs and injectors but it had no compression in an entire bank once it was towed here

Not sure if that's helpful but hope you get it running soon

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Are you getting 12v at the fuel shut off solenoid on the injection pump? That is the only wire that would stop it from starting and running. Are you getting fuel to the injectors?

Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Are you getting 12v at the fuel shut off solenoid on the injection pump? That is the only wire that would stop it from starting and running. Are you getting fuel to the injectors?

Rock
He said that he's getting white smoke out of the exhaust when trying to start the engine.

Dirtydiesel21

Reaction score
Yes have 12 volts at Injector pump, IP is also brand new as far as what the compression is I don't know I'm just trying to understand how it ran before all this and it wasn't until I washed it that it just didn't wanna start again somthing I'm trying to figure in my head is what could it be, like I said I had it running the whole time I washed it I parked it in the shop to do the front end it sat a week then wouldn't start again, starter is brand new and so are the batteries and the cables truck turns over as it should.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Let’s review.

1) Power washed and perhaps got water in the oil.
2) Changed the oil.
3) Changed the fuel filter.
4) Cleaned the injectors and re-installed.
5) New glow plugs and controller.
6) New injection pump.
7) You bled the injector lines.
8) New batteries, cables, starter.
9) Won’t start but getting white smoke at the intake manifold.
10) Replaced a head gasket.

Some thoughts -

If you feel the engine is free spinning and not creating compression or has a uneven starting sound as if one side lacks compression. Then yes you should do as suggested above and check your compression.

If no compression perhaps something happened when you changed the head. Head gasket did not seal, the valve lash is now wrong. Holding valves open or no letting them open far enough.

If you have compression I would look to your Injector pump. Perhaps the timing is off. (Easy to miss a tooth or two.) You said grey smoke coming from intake not exhaust. Could be a timing issue or could be a lack of fuel. Perhaps the solenoid on top is not working right or getting enough power. (Glow plugs and starter droping the voltage to far and it is turning off.) That is what let’s the truck run and what turns the motor off. Lastly perhaps you got a bad new/rebuilt IP.

Also check you are getting fuel from the lift pump. That will confirm you are getting diesel from the tank and everything in between works. It’s common when you switch tanks the sticks in the middle and cuts off the fuel. Possible the pressure washer or just from sitting a couple weeks it gave out.

Then see if your fuel filter is full. If not fill it with diesel or atf and put it back on. If not full that could be a clue you have a issue between the fuel filter and tank.

Then look for a air leak in the fuel system. When the system drains out it takes a little time to build pressure back up. You mentioned you replaced the injector return lines, perhaps one of the snap caps is leaking.

If you have compression I feel it is very likely the IP somehow is causing a fuel or timing issue.

Let’s us know what you find.

Last edited: