hello all

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I went and took the wife or she took me to her first truck pull.I love truck pulling I mean its the first thing that me and her really get into as far as vehicles beside she is a chevy lover as am I but I love fords and yes even dodges just dont drive them. hahah ok so now I want to know I have a 01 silverado v6 2wd I wanna make that a diesel and into a sled puller maybe a stock class or semi stock. Idea's are appreciated but I have other questions?

!. where do i even start what and how should it be safe to drive in a pull roll cage thicker firewall?
2.How do I even begin with transforming the truck (I want it to be leagally driven on the road)?
3. cummins engine all the way maybe or even a duramax?
4.transmission auto or manual?
5. do I even shift in a pull or picka gear and go?
6. what type of tranny allison 1000 or a 5 speed?
7.what about a rear end 10.25 or a d80 ?
8 wheels tires?
9.suspension what should I use?

Sorry to ask but I am planning and saving as we speak I want to get into it with her and soon enough with our little girl. I would like this truck to be something that we can bond over and also have tons of fun.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would start with a heavier truck. At least a ¾ ton.
Doubt you'll get very far with 2 wheel drive.
Duramax.
Built up Allison.
D80 or 10.25 rear would be good, I mean it'd suck to have it blow apart on your first pull.
I'd keep single rear wheels.
If you use the independent front suspension for 4x4, make sure to upgrade the tie rods.

You may go to a duramax forum to see what builds you can find.

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well what is the difference between 1/2 ton and 3/4 I mean it is springs and a torsion bar front end but is that it and I really dont want 4x4 I have seen alot of 2wd's run and almost full pull. But what if I have a massive rear tire would that be ideal to get traction.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well what is the difference between 1/2 ton and 3/4 I mean it is springs and a torsion bar front end but is that it and I really dont want 4x4 I have seen alot of 2wd's run and almost full pull. But what if I have a massive rear tire would that be ideal to get traction.

Frame rails, axles, brakes, and springs are all different on 1/2 ton. There's usually a 2wd class in the pulls that I've gone too. I'd just start with a heavier truck that has the engine you want already but If you aren't scared of a little fabrication you can beef up the frame of a half ton.

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so can I just box in the frame with 1/4 inch plate? I mean i want it stock and I would like to run a d80 full floater with ethier a 5speed manual or allison and a cummins no duramax want to stay cheap and can get a 98 cummins alot cheaper i think then a duramax and have to wire it up. also can I still run the stock springs or do i need a whole other frame? from a 3/4 ton truck that will hold that heavy cummins

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so can I just box in the frame with 1/4 inch plate? I mean i want it stock and I would like to run a d80 full floater with ethier a 5speed manual or allison and a cummins no duramax want to stay cheap and can get a 98 cummins alot cheaper i think then a duramax and have to wire it up. also can I still run the stock springs or do i need a whole other frame? from a 3/4 ton truck that will hold that heavy cummins

I couldn't tell you if the frames are drilled to match with 3/4 ton suspension but if you box the frame it'll put you in a heavier weight class and it'll all be on the front of that 2wd... All the pulls around here will disqualify you if you shift gears mid pull anyway so I'd just go manual and be done with it. Just be aware that if you plan on building a motor way past stock the frame will need a lot more beef (The torque will actually twist the frame because when all that power is transferred to the drive line there's an equal and opposite reaction which is the motor straining against the motor mounts) :eek: Watch the front of semi when they take off from a stoplight and it's the same thing.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If you can get a cummins so cheap, why not just get the whole truck. Be it 2wd, 4wd, ¾ ton, one ton, or whatever.
It'll save you a lot of time, money, and headache.

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i can get a engine cheap just a whole truck around here is anywhere from 6 to 11 grand i mean people want alot for a dodge truck that has a cummins like I sold mine for 4000 and it needed help that was a fair price but rusted doors and rusted bed to the point to go buy a new one people want 7000 and it has over 250xxx on the clock I will have to research more but ruger I want to stay around a stock class I mean nothing to fancy if its already a 3/4 or 1 ton frame with the engine and trans I want will a nv4500 stand up to more horsepower I mean what is the horsepower rating or torque for a nv4500?

Also the draw bar I still dont understand the height it said in stock class no more the I think 30 inch what do they mean? and where do I put the draw bar move it closer to the front not just on the end of the frame?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I have to agree. Sell your truck and put it toward at least a 3/4 ton if not a 1 ton. I've been down the route of retrofitting a 1/2 ton truck with heavier components and there is just too much bow and flex in the frame even with some boxing and stiffening. You will come out ahead in the long run if you can buy a bigger truck that already has the diffs, springs etc. even if you find one with a blown up motor. 6BT's can be had relatively cheap in most areas. If you just want to play and aren't serious about it, go find an older Chevy and drop a big block in it and go play. It really doens't get any cheaper than that. I'd almost recommend this route first anyway to decide if this is something really want to do. It's really easy to get a bunch of money tied up in one of these things. Going diesel and being competitive won''t be cheap. Having a play toy to take out a few times a year isn't so bad. Just FYI, A lot of the sanctioning folks won't let you put a cummins in anything but a dodge. It usually has to be a combination that was available in a 1 ton or lighter vehicle to get into the stock classes. May be different where you are though so find the rules and read them first before you do anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online