Headlight replacement

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounded like an easy job, however it turned out to be almost 6 hours. The clips that hold the back of the adjusters to the truck are unbelievably difficult to remove. Maybe a circlip remover would have helped spread those clips.

Worst part is that the $45 (pair) headlights I bought on ebay have cheesy up/down adjusters - the 90 degree gear box got stripped right out of the box. I tow a trailer and need to adjust the headlights up/down frequently. Now I have clear lenses but inoperable adjusters.

Maybe someone else can profit from my mistake(s)

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I didn't think they were that hard to remove, but certainly no picnic. Is there anyway to transfer your old adjusters to the new lights?

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not easily - the lower clip was impossible to remove due to limited clearance - I ended up taking a sawzall to the lower adjuster and popping it through the back.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The old lens wasn't just opaque - it also fogged inside - water was getting in, I'm not sure where. I'll probably just have to buy a better set of headlights and make sure the adjuster is functional.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The old lens wasn't just opaque - it also fogged inside - water was getting in, I'm not sure where. I'll probably just have to buy a better set of headlights and make sure the adjuster is functional.

I wish someone made them off of sheet metal and glass like the early ones, this new plastic crap isn't good for more than a couple years.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I wish someone made them off of sheet metal and glass like the early ones, this new plastic crap isn't good for more than a couple years.

Ok, this sounds silly but it isn't.

Polish them when you wax the truck.

The polish will help keep the plastic protected from the UV rays and stirred up road debris from following behind vehicles.;Sweet

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Ok, this sounds silly but it isn't.

Polish them when you wax the truck.

The polish will help keep the plastic protected from the UV rays and stirred up road debris from following behind vehicles.;Sweet

Yes that does work, but You can't beat the look and durability of a 80's truck with those nice glass sealed unit head lights. I like the looks of My truck but I just wish they didn't stop making them with glass, guess it was too much glass to pick up after an accident :dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FordLTDiesel

Members online