Heading off road

inked469

Reaction score
Hey folks. Learned some valuable lessons this weekend and need some advice. I took my idi on a fairly easy trail. I had no problems until some serious uphill grade. Burped some trans fluid out the vent. Mistake 1 not in 4 low on heavy incline. Mistake 2 no gages. I have coolant, trans temp, and egt on the list to add before the next trip. New trans fluid as well. It looks good but for 80 bucks I won't risk it. Mistake 3 no aux trans cooler. I already have the trans go kit and I'm planning on getting a billet torque converter and installing the new pump springs from the trans go at the same time. Is there anything else I should be doing to keep the rig up and running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the stock converters make a lot of heat. I found that out climbing MT Washington. another driver had an e40d but was able to use 4lo and had no problems.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going slow on the trails, a trans cooler with its own fan will help a bunch. At trail speeds, you won't get as much air flow through the trans cooler, so the fan on it will help.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
As the rest, stock with 4 low.
I use mine low range daily. (Well not all day lol that would be a long drive)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

inked469

Reaction score
As the rest, stock with 4 low.
I use mine low range daily. (Well not all day lol that would be a long drive)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Yeah I had no problems are I refilled the trans and went into 4 lo. I guess it was a cheap and easy fix for a first time taking the beast off road. I know that with the right stuff they can very easily handle the abuse!

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I alway used 4 low it saves wear and tear in the transmission, though not a idi my bronco stock with nothing but 33's and a 3 inch body lift outlived many of my friends Trucks just don't have the foot to the floor until necessary. Crawling around for long distances Eletric fans maybe a good idea they'll drawn more air through to keep things cool while idling around since motor fan isn't at high rpms

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Idi has no issue staying cool off road. Only time ever that mine got warm was 5-10 mins of WOT In a mud hole trying to get through it. I made it. Other than that it never gets hot. And a pic to show what I am using. I ain't easy on it

You must be registered for see images attach

inked469

Reaction score
Idi has no issue staying cool off road. Only time ever that mine got warm was 5-10 mins of WOT In a mud hole trying to get through it. I made it. Other than that it never gets hot. And a pic to show what I am using. I ain't easy on it

You must be registered for see images attach
Yeah the engine was fine but the trans was not having it. I'm gonna put an aux cooler on it. I don't do anything to crazy with it. Just over landing and some trails.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So how did it puke trans fluid?
Your breathers should be up at intake level for the ip.
Think fording,

inked469

Reaction score
So how did it puke trans fluid?
Your breathers should be up at intake level for the ip.
Think fording,
It looked to be coming out of the top of the trans. Possibly the dip stick or worst case out of the pump seal.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There were a couple different style breathers on the e4od, most commonly a one way spring cap near the back. Some had a hose, but it was uncommon. The one way breather is lower than the upper bolt on the bell housing. For regular driving, the one way is awsome, let's pressure out, bit not dirt in.problem is if fluid is present that goes out too. If you wanna keep it from coming you could swap to a hose ran up, but my preference is a small bellows made by trail gear. I've got them on both diff's, and Ill have one on my tranny when I pull it out, and it's completely sealed up from things going on or out, bit allows for expansion.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

inked469

Reaction score
Sorry, forgot to mention the it's called the creeper breather

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I am googling this right now.

Reactions: BR3