Head retention

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just have a few questions.

1st= how much boost can stock hardware handle?

2nd= should stock hardware be retorqued?

3rd=I have no idea what is in my truck. Is the stock hardware, bolts vs. Studs, and if I pulled the covers would I be abke to check torque?

I am wondering if there is anything I can do as far as preventative maintenance to keep head gaskets from failing. My turbo maxes out at 11psi.

I have no idea how old the turbo is, when it was installed, or if it has ever been gone through. The GV was done when the truck was new, I have the original owners manual that's dated for instal. But I have no idea about the turbo kit.

I had problems with a 6.2 and head gaskets that was turboed. Finaly did ARP studs.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
My 85 E350 RV has an ATS 085. The highest I've seen it get on the boost gauge has been about 7. I seem to recall people saying 10 is max for head bolts. Presumably, the turbo has been on there with the factory stock head bolts since 1985 and 72k miles so far, and there's no head gasket issues yet. Just keep your foot out of it enough to keep the pressure below 10 and you'll probably be fine.

Black dawg

Reaction score
with 6.2s and 6.5s, head gasket issues can be common...turbo or not.

Head gasket issues from boost are not common on 7.3idi motors. I have never worried about 15 psi or less...with enough fuel to make power at that psi on any 7.3 idi stock bolts and gaskets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online