Hazard lights engage trailer brakes

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup it's wierd.

Got a 5th wheel and turns out the hazard lights are engaging the trailer brakes. All other light and brake functions are normal.

The truck was wired years ago by the original owner. I assume professional install because it also has a receiver hitch and under bed gooseneck and 5th wheel support installed. I don't know if it's always been like this or a problem that has cropped up.

Any recommendations on where to check?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I was actually wondering about that.
But didn't wanna sound crazy. Lol
Probably normal, since in essence, it is apply the brake lights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 88 did that. The problem is likely that the hazard tail light signal is feeding back through the multifunction switch and to the brake light switch. A properly placed diode would stop it but at this instant, I couldn't tell you exactly where to put it. I haven't got that far along yet.

Its a handy feature when you are checking lights and brakes on the trailer though, pull the 4 ways and turn on the parking lights and you can check everything at once with no helper. ;Sweet

On Edit: I went back and looked at the thing you linked. That is a fancy way of mounting a diode. It is stopping the tail lights from backfeeding to the brake light switch where your brake controller ties in. So basically, you need to go to the tail light side of your splice for the tail lights and add this diode in between the brake controller splice and the tail lights. If you buy your own diode, make sure you point it the right way when you splice it in. If you put it in backwards, the brake lights won't work and your brake controller will pulse.

Last edited:

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck does it as well. I personally like it as when loading/ unloading I turn the controller all the way up and put my hazards on and it’ll lock the trailer brakes solid

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01