Has anybody sent in used oil samples?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to see them. I searched here and Bobistheoilguy with no luck.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Instead on oil analysis or whatever, just search here (or elsewhere) for Blackstone.
I would recommend Polaris labs.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve done it in the past. Probably won’t do it anymore. They are good at getting a truck owner all worked up because the oil shows 2ppm higher in bearing metal content and think their engine is going to blow up.
It is, however, a good test to see how your headgaskets are holding up if your running originals.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve done it in the past. Probably won’t do it anymore. They are good at getting a truck owner all worked up because the oil shows 2ppm higher in bearing metal content and think their engine is going to blow up.
It is, however, a good test to see how your headgaskets are holding up if your running originals.
Ha! Ya. I have sent in samples on other cars so I know what you mean. I know every engine is different but I was hoping to get a baseline of when to change my oil. My truck falls into the change it sooner category. Lots of short trips, dusty roads etc.

The sticker on my oil fill says 2500 miles. But I also know that todays oils are much better than what we had 30 years ago. I'm currantly @ 3000 miles on this fill of Castrol Diesel 15w40 (which btw seems to not burn off as bad as other oils). I am at the "ADD" mark now.

I am running the short lower efficiency oil filter. I bought a lot of them before I knew about the longer Powerstroke filter.
Change it now/soon or fill it and go another thousand or more miles?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My oil sample is the magnetic drain plug. I do the regular analysis “yep that’s as much metal shavings as the last time” and proceed to run my 260k mile engine. Been making the shiny stuff for almost 80k miles, it’s just self clearancing I tell me self...

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run my 6.7 psd whenever the oil change light comes on, which is always around 8k miles. There is no need to change oil in short intervals anymore. I would run engine oil to at least 5k miles before changing it with a FL1995 Filter in these old idi engines.
Again, this is just my opinion on the subject.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run my 6.7 psd whenever the oil change light comes on, which is always around 8k miles. There is no need to change oil in short intervals anymore. I would run engine oil to at least 5k miles before changing it with a FL1995 Filter in these old idi engines.
Again, this is just my opinion on the subject.
But that electronic engine is much cleaner burning than my overfuelled IDI.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My oil turns pitch black in about 2 miles of driving it with new oil. Sure it’ll probably have tighter engine tolerances, but it’s still a diesel. Oil nowadays is much better than it was 30 years ago.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Change my oil every 2500-3k miles. Yes, the oil is better, and could probably handle longer intervals... but only with the crud removed, stuff that the oil filter can't take out.

If I was running a bypass filter or centrifuge filter, I could see extending the drain interval, maby using synthetic as well. With a stock filter? Changing it on a regular basis is cheap insurance. It also keeps any leaked coolant from building up(note: you'll probably see it when removing the filter if any is leaking - makes interesting 'clean' spots on the metal 'grill' at the top of the filter).

I'M running Mobil Delvac 15w40 in my trucks; just watch for the mail-in rebates(currently at $35/5 gallons) and get it cheap!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'M running Mobil Delvac 15w40 in my trucks; just watch for the mail-in rebates(currently at $35/5 gallons) and get it cheap!

Wow I'll have to look into that. The generic 15w40 at the farm stores is $30/5gal!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VWAudiFord

Members online