Hard Start When Hot

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I thought previously I had read every pump gets a new head and rotor.
But recently someone said that's not correct.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

rsaltaresjr

Reaction score
It's an ip problem, basically the tolerances around the rotor and head are tight when cold so it builds pressure rapidly and high enough to pop you're injectors. When it gets heat soaked the metal expands and the tolerances become loose, causing loss of pressure buildup. Low pressure means injectors can't pop. It's all even worse when the starter isn't spinning the engine at optimal rpm.

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
Doing an electric fuel pump conversion at this time and have not finished the job to see if it helps....Not looking forward to taking this IP apart when I've used the best filters and done everything correctly only to have to do it again when it should have lasted for 150,000 miles!

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is possible that it is the fuel shut off solenoid that is the problem and not the IP itself. The fss coil can heat soak and not make the solenoid work. My truck did this, replaced the fss and has been fine ever since. The next time it won't start when hot, pull the fss wire off the IP, the touch the wire back to the terminal and listen for a very audible click. If you hear the click, the fss is working.

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
Which wire is that the rear grey one or the two orange wires in front?I ask as I've read people have tapped into one of those wires when doing the fuel pump conversion and wondered how they tapped into that wire?

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not looking forward to taking this IP apart when I've used the best filters and done everything correctly only to have to do it again when it should have lasted for 150,000 miles!

Did you talk to Mel?

Heath

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
Yes finally talked with him after 5 attempt's said it would cost me money but my time and my labor were free!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's an odd response. since your not close enough there really isn't much he can do to look at the problem. im sure if he thought the pump was defective he would replace free of charge.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Red/green is the fuel shutoff solenoid.
Also many other things. But it's key on power.

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
Trying to find something close with key on power to hook last wire from relay to.I've got all my fuel pump stuff done except for that and it appears there are two wires and then one with same type connector housing and trying to figure out how to hook another wire to it?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You want the front wire on the ip. You should be able to tap that one for your relay signal.