Hard Start When Hot

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
My truck has just started a deal when you drive it and it sits for hr or so it don't want to start when it's hot.Starts real good in morning but seems after it gets hot it's hard to start when it sits.Motor has 135,000 on it and am wondering if the stock fuel pump is going away as IP and other fuel stuff was replaced 9000 miles ago?Also today when it wouldn't start I opened the filter bleed and nothing came out?I came home after finally getting it to start and shut off the motor and it restarted fine...What's going on as I figure it's a fuel issue?

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would start with lift pump and check for leaks.

Hydro - idi is right sounds like classic ip failing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you open the filter bleeder with the engine running (when there should be fuel pressure there) or when is was off (no pressure)?

Mechanical or electric lift pump?

Have you tried the ice the IP trick? Meaning, when it won't start when hot, place a bag of ice water on the IP and let the IP cool off. If it starts after cooling the IP down, but wouldn't start a few minutes before (when it was hot)......... you need an injection pump.

Heath

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, pretty much. That's generally the failure mode, especially if you have a worn or poorly-rebuilt IP trying to push fuel into new, high-pressure injectors.

Also, just a thought, but how fast does the engine crank over? It should be slower when cold, but if your engine is cranking slowly for one reason or another(usually worn out brushes on the starter), the IP won't build enough pressure. This is exacerbated by the worn IP clearances and high temperatures.

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
Bought the pump from the guy here Mr. Moose that is suppose to be the IP man on forum.Contesga Diesel I think he goes by as the pump don't have but 12000 miles on it since I put it on and it just started this ****?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm a Moose Pump is generally thought to be the best around. I'd say try the lift pump? or go electric pump...

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely contact him then. You can always have a bad unit, or something could have happened one way or another.
Whether you can get a replacement(if it is indeed the issue) is what matters.

The general consensus is that you've basically only got Conestoga, R&D IDI performance, and Typ4 as options for a quality pump.

When I first got my own high-dollar R&D IP, I had a very odd issue with it("laggy" timing). Customer service was great - I got the guy(Justin) on the phone quickly, he walked me through a few tests to make sure it wasn't something else, and then fixed it at no charge. Still not sure what the original problem ended up being, and the replacement has worked flawlessly for multiple years now.
*that's* the mark of a good shop. Stuff will always happen; what matters is that you end up with a good solution at the end of the day.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check fuel pressure at the filter head, maybe filter old? good clean diesel in tank? not likely to be ip issues conestoga Is known for quality but stuff can happen sometimes. If there happens to be a issue with the pump I'm sure Mel will help with it, I belive his pumps come with some kind of warrantee

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
How much pressure should it have at the head as that was the next place I was going?I'm sure I replaced filter when I put new IP on

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
How much pressure should it have at the head as that was the next place I was going?I'm sure I replaced filter when I put new IP on
Mine runs about 5-6psi. Got a holly red electic lift pump tho. Mechanical pump was at 3-4 but it was tired. Anything over 8psi starts to advance the timing in the ip

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, the IP hot failure acid test is to be at the ready when it happens, and douse the IP with COOL (room temperature, NOT COLD) water. If that helps it start, that indicates the IP.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The no start issue..... will the issue only happen when the truck has sat for while (hour or so)? Will it start if you immediately try it after shutting it off.

Fuel pressure gauge you can hook up at the filter head and see what it's doing?

Where in KY?

Heath

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
Well I guess that tells the story.Checked head today and my gauge shows 2lbs and up and needle never moved at idle?Don't know how it runs?

Last edited: