Hard start even with new injectors, injection pump and glow plugs...help

chris becker

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
So i just got done puttin in a new injection pump, injectors and motor craft glow pugs. I expected my truck to fire right up.

No!

Still needs ether to start up!!!

I have no leaks from filter to injectors.glow plugs are cycling I hear I click of in about 30-45 seconds like normal. When it fires up it is smooth no hesitation, plenty of power. Cruises down the road great. With the new fuel system now it runs better then it ever did! If I give it wide open throttle the filter light does not come. No stumbles no misses go fuel economy. What the hell is going on here!!! I run a Duralift electric pump in the engine bay. Fuel pressure gauge is 9-12 psi at idle cruising is around 3-4psi wide open throttle 1.5-2psi. Could be something moth my tanks? Selector valve sucking air anything else bad fuel filter? Help please?!

chris becker

Reaction score
Diesel injection service, Portland Oregon. Same shop my trucking company I work for uses and my father in law uses them for his construction and dump trucking company. Several of the guys that work there own 7.3 l trucks, just haven’t had time to call them. Just finished it up this afternoon. Drove it 20 miles to dinner. Pump and injectors we’re almost $900.00. Nice quality definitely woke my truck it never ran so nice just hard starting. Wes, I need to get one of your glowplug wire harnesses for my truck, mine still works but is falling apart.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pump timing? Fast idle stuff working? I am not by any means an expert. But it sounds like you have covered the expected stuff, so it pretty much has to be the unexpected. Some simple little thing that you just would never expect. So start small and simple.

chris becker

Reaction score
Fast idle works. I did not change the pump timing. Removed the pump from the gear by removing the three cap screws on the front plate after marking everything. Put back together in reverse order after lining up marks on timing pump.

steve phillips

Reaction score
Just a thought. Have you made sure power going to glow plugs on both sides of engine, if not check fusible links in wires to glow plug solenoid.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not change the pump timing. Removed the pump from the gear by removing the three cap screws on the front plate after marking everything. Put back together in reverse order after lining up marks on timing pump.

There's your problem. These need to be timed correctly and the "timing marks" are only to get it going to put a meter on it. Look up the timing registry on here to see if anyone is near you or PM @icanfixall about meter rental. If it's good when running now wait until it's "right".

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it's cranking but not starting, you are getting a lot of white stinky smoke out of the exhaust pipe correct?

When the glowplugs cycle, your voltmeter drops down to around 8v correct?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diesel injection service, Portland Oregon. Same shop my trucking company I work for uses and my father in law uses them for his construction and dump trucking company. Several of the guys that work there own 7.3 l trucks, just haven’t had time to call them. Just finished it up this afternoon. Drove it 20 miles to dinner. Pump and injectors we’re almost $900.00. Nice quality definitely woke my truck it never ran so nice just hard starting. Wes, I need to get one of your glowplug wire harnesses for my truck, mine still works but is falling apart.
Hard start when hot or just all the time?

chris becker

Reaction score
When it's cranking but not starting, you are getting a lot of white stinky smoke out of the exhaust pipe correct?

Correct.

When the glowplugs cycle, your voltmeter drops down to around 8v correct?.

Correct.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well sounds like a priming issue the mechanical lift pump is designed to act as a check valve but rarely does, if you want to try one of my check valves it should help with priming, make sure the fitting on the back of the pump is right too. Is your truck a turbo or na engine?

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well sounds like a priming issue the mechanical lift pump is designed to act as a check valve but rarely does, if you want to try one of my check valves it should help with priming, make sure the fitting on the back of the pump is right too. Is your truck a turbo or na engine?

Believe he has an electric pump. If he's got a way to keep the pump running between shut down and firing back up that would rule out losing prime

chris becker

Reaction score
Yes has electric fuel pump. It’s the Duralift fuel fuel pump.