Had up pipes done. Now sluggish

InnovativeAV

Reaction score
I had a local shop put new glow plugs in my 2003 7.3 power stroke. My up pipes were also leaking so they replaced those with the new ones that I guess the flanges bolt together. They had to remove the turbo to do the up pipes and for some reason it doesn’t feel like it’s making boost they think that my wastegate is sticking which I believe it has stuck before I’ve had it open up and not shut until I slow down. They are suggesting to Put a plate I believe or pedestal where the wastegate goes and get rid of the wastegate so it’s basically like an open turbo does this seem like this would be feasible. I have a TS6 chip. Stock injectors. Stock turbo. When they pulled the turbo they said that it barely had any up-and-down play but I had zero in and out play so they said that the turbo is fine.

Any ideas. I could hear the turbo a little bit but not like I used to and it just didn’t seem like it had anything plus it was blowing a lot of Blacksmoke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sounds like they did bellowed up pipes.
Yeah, if you're getting smoke, you have a boost or exhaust leak.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with the exhaust you can look for soot. maybe they FUBARd an o-ring or a boot somewhere.

do you have a boost gauge?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re gonna have to double check everything they did, especially looking at boots that got reused, make sure nothing is ripped and all the clamps are tight. As mentioned o rings are a common source of leaks but they shouldn’t have had to take the compressor housing off so you shouldn’t have to check there but don’t rule it out.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
waste gate could be a problem. i think there is a o-ring from turbo to IC y-pipe? on the OBS trucks i have seen those almost in pieces.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was going to say that but when they stick it will make a loud hissing sound.

InnovativeAV

Reaction score
i was going to say that but when they stick it will make a loud hissing sound.
When I would really get on it it would blow open and make the hissing sound and it would actually stay that way until I pre-much kind of let off the gas and let it close but I can’t even get it to do that anymore it won’t even open

InnovativeAV

Reaction score
I did take the truck back to them that day which was a couple days ago I still haven’t heard anything from them

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can disconnect the EBPV and make sure it stays open and see what happens.

clint bartels

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok make sure your MAP sensor is plugged in, both electrically and the 1/4" hose that goes to the manifold. That is the one that bolts up to your HVAC box. If that's unplugged the computer wont register boost and wont add fuel accordingly. Check that and while you have your hood open I second the look for soot on your up pipes, turbo fittings, and manifolds. Also look at your CAC tubing and boots make sure 1 wasn't left off or blew off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online