h1c wheel sizes

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
the wheel sizes on the h1c are 54mm comp and 83mm exhaust for the intercooled turbos and 50mm comp 83mm exhaust for the non intercooled turbos i dont know if anyone can compare this to the kits on our trucks but we finally have some #'s to play with

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the wheel sizes on the h1c are 54mm comp and 83mm exhaust for the intercooled turbos and 50mm comp 83mm exhaust for the non intercooled turbos i dont know if anyone can compare this to the kits on our trucks but we finally have some #'s to play with

Get the full inducer and exducer measurements on both wheels, so that you can make a decent comarison, or look at other upgrades. Also the blade pitch and curvature makes a large difference too. I will find some of the measurements later on another forum if I have a chance.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
that is the only measurments i could find. if you know anyone that has a first gen cummins that is the turbo that should be on there. I really want to get some comparisons to see what the similarities are but i am not that turbo savy and will not have the turbo handy until i get back home in a week or two. I have also heard that the hx 35 and the h1c are basically the same turbo

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HX35 and WH1C are comparable, but not the same. I will do some digging later on and see what I can find.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
awesome because i know big dave got an h1c with a 16cm exhaust housing and i have one with an 18cm exhaust housing and i am wondering how they compare on paper. Once i start my job we will find out how well they actually work.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe you have the incorrect numbers in your first post, or rather what they apply to.

H1C non IC - 50 mm inducer(small side) 83 mm exducer(large side) on the compressor, 70 mm inducer (big side) 60 mm exducer (small side) on the turbine

H1C IC - 56 mm inducer, 83 mm exducer on the compressor, 70 mm inducer, 60 mm exducer on turbine

WH1C - same as IC H1C, with a 12 cm wastegated housing

94-98 HX35 - 54 mm inducer, 83 mm exducer on the compressor, 70mm inducer, 60 mm exducer on turbine

98.5-02 HX35 - 7 blade 54 mm inducer, 78 mm exducer on compressor, 70 mm inducer, 60 mm exducer on turbine

Turbine wheels were the same throughout the H1/HX versions used on a 5.9, and turbine housing from 12 cm to 21 cm are interchangeable. H1 series turbo has a clamp that attaches the compressor housing to the removable backing plate on the centersection, and HX series has a snap-ring that attaches to an integral backing plate.

The numbers are the best I could come up with from a couple different vendors, and from searching a couple of other forums. If they aren't right, I'm sorry, but they should be pretty close.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I have a blown WH1C, working HX35, blown non-ic H1C, and a few S200's off 3126 Cat's in the garage that I could play with and try to get working, once the weather warms up.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
ok well i would think that they would be easy to put on since they are the same turbo flange. I dont know enough about turbos to find out how they would spool considering the difference in displacement of our engines even if i had all the numbers. I have rode in a turbo 7.3 and i was not all that impressed with the low end power but if you kept it screaming it would haul ass. I dont really like that to much. I would rather have a smooth acceleration and sacrifice a little up top to gain a little down bottom. This is what i am hoping for the h1c. even if it limits me a little up top, hopefully it will spool instantaneously.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I started a similar thread wondering how I could pick up a little more bottom end from my 7.3. http://oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36067

I had an H1C on my 92 with the factory 21cm exhaust housing. With the 12cm that I swapped on the boost went from taking forever to build boost to almost instant boost. I really liked the way I could build pressure in any RPM at almost any speed.

With all the stock components in place a 21cm H1C will build about 12psi on a stock first gen. With an intake, exhaust and a little more fuel they will clear 24psi no problem. With the 12cm housing I could clear 32psi easily without a load. At that point my drive pressure was probably pretty high, but egt's were never over 1200 at WOT.

I don't know how if this will help any, but that is with a 5.9 feeding it. With a 7.3 I would probably start off with the 21cm housing... even then It would probably build too much boost for stock head bolts.

I would like to see someone try it though. The H1C can has anything from 12-21cm housings available wastegated or non wastegated. There is a lot of tuning that can be had with those options :thumbsup:

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
i am starting with an 18 cm and a wastegate set for 12 lbs If that thing seems to be to limiting on the top end then my dad has a cummins with a 21 and i will swap him housings(seems like a pretty good deal huh he gets something to make his motor run better and so do i). I think between the 16 18 and 21 cm housings we can get this thing rolling good.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I am very interested to hear how this turns out. Keep us posted please ;Sweet

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why such a large gate? And will it progressively bleed drive pressure, or just open at 12 psi boost? If it just opens, I have a feeling you'll lose too much drive pressure and lose boost. I'd go for a 12 cm non-gated housing with that size gate, it'd spool quick and not choke on the topend either.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I dont really know why i bought such a large gate i just bought what seemed to best fit my truck all of them were advertised for small gassers so i really didnt know what to buy. Would it be better to swap to a smaller gate, and what size? How would i know the difference between one that constanly bleeds pressure and just opens. It is cheaper to buy the gates than a housing and i can install the gate after the turbo goes on, i will just have to be easy on the right foot to control boost.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E Moeller