Guage cluster assistance?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got cluster from scrap yard, and I experimented with making the needles and faces clear to change whatever color I want to use for bulbs. Is there any way to make them accurate again, I mean honestly just the fuel gauge? seems like RPMs and speed should be fine they start at 0 and battery voltage and coolant temp should be close enough, oil pressure is on and off switch so as long as it moves and isn’t up side down. Can I just plug in this new cluster? Should I really care much about the unknown miles anyway? Just as a reference for oil changes is all I use it for.

You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new cluster will just plug in, don’t know much about changing the colors. Since it’s a brick, you can just use the dial to change the mileage to what the old one said

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Thewespaul it will plug in yes, I took it completely apart took the faces off the gauges and the needles to remove the green and yellow paint on them so it would show through clear so I can use different colored led bulbs in the back on it. My issue is wondering if there is a way to calibrate the gauges when installing the needles again

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as you install them back in their original location they will be correct

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the only one I’m honestly unsure of if probably the most important and that’s the fuel gauge but I guess I could pop the sender from the tank and Adjust it that way? RPMs stay at 0 everything basically starts at 0 besides the fuel gauge when the cluster is not powered but I can plug it in and mess with it some I guess, if it doesn’t work I’ve got my old cluster still reguardless

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cluster looks really good I hope I can figure this out so it works! Anybody have good ideas for back light color I should run if this works out? Like blue to match interior or red or purple just to be different? I haven’t seen this done much but honestly it was kinda easy which I’m feeling like maybe too good to be true about now

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In case anybody is wondering how this turned out! It looks better in person the camera doesn’t like the color blue/purple that it turned out for some reason. Everything works only error I made was the tack seems to be about 200 off so I have to move the needle a little bit. And fuel gauge is in same spot as when I took the clusters apart and installed the new ones faces

You must be registered for see images attach

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I learned my lesson on keeping things organized during this process I guess he speedo and tack are weighted very precisely, and if you mix the two up they don’t work correctly, speedo bounced all over the place and tach was a little off. Switch the weights and now everything is perfect

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update! My battery gauge has decided to go crazy now doesnt read very accurate anymore needle is like pegged negative so this whole thing has been a minor failure so far I would suppose, but it defiantly looked cool! Also my speedo cable won’t stay put it keeps backing off and loosing connection, hopefully my fuel gauge is accurate still, really I just want fuel, tach and speedo. I have coolant and egt/boost and am getting oil soon for aftermarket gauges on a 4 gauge pod

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online